• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help with bonding

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
ok NO negative horrible responses plz on this post !!! thank u

I have a 1 year old mini lop who has been done, she is lonely in the day and when she is with me she craves me she follows me and I love her with all my heart and dont want to see her lonely.

I have baught a nethie 12 weeks old and shakira looks like a giant lop compared to him.

I have phoned the rescue centre who give advice and even take rabbits in to be bonded.. Fat fluffs they are called.
gave great advice. Bt i have messed up last nite and today i let them meet but was in shakiras home terroritry cant spel. and shakira tried go for him weed all over my bed and he stuck his tail up ready to pounce.

I have been given good advice put them in a small room not where they av both been. and let them meet if they fight and i am worried i can pin one down i need to tell shakitra off as im to soft with her.

also been advised put them in a carrier together and go for a drive.

i have also been told he can be neutred at a later date but shakira wud need to go with him if they r bonded

ne tips from u guys plz

Personally, dont.

Keep them totally, 100% seperate until he can be neutered (at ~16 weeks) then attempt a bond.

You're just asking for trouble is hormones kick in post-bond.

I would neuter the boy as early as you can and then attempt this.

Not all rabbits will accept babies as 'babies' and will see them as interlopers and if you've already seen this, I would wait until he is done. I have bonded a male baby to an older female before and I was lucky as I was able to do it safely and easily, BUT, you have to watch every day for the boy bits to descend unless you want a mass of fur and possibly injuries. I managed to catch him the day he got his hormones and was therefore able to keep them together, but it was a very slim window of opportunity. As you aren't an experienced bonder, I wouldn't even think about going here as you are not likely to be able to read the signs.

So from me the advice is get him done, wait 4 weeks and then try again.

yes i have decided to wait untill he gets dun he doesnt have ne balls yet lol bless him so will have to wait i am going to move him downstairs and keepy shakky upstairs as she can still smell him x

I would neuter the boy as early as you can and then attempt this.

Not all rabbits will accept babies as 'babies' and will see them as interlopers and if you've already seen this, I would wait until he is done. I have bonded a male baby to an older female before and I was lucky as I was able to do it safely and easily, BUT, you have to watch every day for the boy bits to descend unless you want a mass of fur and possibly injuries. I managed to catch him the day he got his hormones and was therefore able to keep them together, but it was a very slim window of opportunity. As you aren't an experienced bonder, I wouldn't even think about going here as you are not likely to be able to read the signs.

So from me the advice is get him done, wait 4 weeks and then try again.

Good advice as always from Helen :thumb:

Please do not be tempted to rush the bond. Either or both of the rabbits could end up getting injured - or worse. There are lots of threads on here re. bonding so I would read those, take notes and get 100% prepared.

Sticking them in a carrier & taking them on a car journey is certainly not (IMO) the starting point (in your scenario) and is a controversial technique anyway as the bond will be as a result of stress & fear as oppose to getting to know one another & becoming friends by 'choice'. The latter is generally accepted as being more likely to result in a true, long term bond also.

Last edited:
Good advice as always from Helen :thumb:

Please do not be tempted to rush the bond. Either or both of the rabbits could end up getting injured - or worse. There are lots of threads on here re. bonding so I would read those, take notes and get 100% prepared. Sticking them in a carrier & taking them on a car journey is certainly not the starting point and is a contraversial technique anyway as the bond will be as a result of stress & fear as oppose to getting to know one another & becoming friends by 'choice'. The latter is more likely to result in a true, long term bond also.

This must be the first, and possibly only time i've ever disagreed with you :lol:

B&G went on a 15 minute car journey as the first stage of their bond. It does indeed cause stress, but they learn that they can gain comfort from another bunny during that stress. It's stress that would occur during a journey to the vets anyway.

B&G have the closest bond, and i would always use it as the first stage for ours here. Just to add, i also have used it to calm down scraps if something gets a bit muddled (normally after Ginger feeling crappy). Helen (The Duchess) even noted how close they were, so i certainly don't believe they are friends as a result of stress/fear :)

</disagreement> :)

This must be the first, and possibly only time i've ever disagreed with you :lol:

B&G went on a 15 minute car journey as the first stage of their bond. It does indeed cause stress, but they learn that they can gain comfort from another bunny during that stress. It's stress that would occur during a journey to the vets anyway.

B&G have the closest bond, and i would always use it as the first stage for ours here. Just to add, i also have used it to calm down scraps if something gets a bit muddled (normally after Ginger feeling crappy). Helen (The Duchess) even noted how close they were, so i certainly don't believe they are friends as a result of stress/fear :)

</disagreement> :)

Ahh well Gray, you may not in fact be disagreeing with me....well not entirely! I should have elaborated more. I meant that I don't think it should be the starting point in this situation as they have already interacted & had a 'tif'. I know that a lot of people put 'new' buns together right from the start and it can often bring good results ....but and it's a big BUT I also think it's important that the person responsible for the bonding is well informed and understands how bonding works, what can happen, other techniques etc etc. I am just always wary that people read 'put them in a carrier & go for a drive' and stop reading at that stage, then wonder why all hell breaks loose when they get home (having not neutralised anywhere etc etc) :roll:

...and BTW: I'm not an experience bonder, I've just read lots and lots and lots and lots about the process and taken note of peoples experiences on here :wave: I would ask a reputable rescue near to you to do it for you :wave:

PS: I've amended my previous post to make things a bit clearer - hopefully!

Last edited:
Back