• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - What are my chances ?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Are both bunnies spayed/neutered? Are you doing it in a small space? Can you tell us exactly what you're doing? space, time, what you doo when they fight, etc.

The male is neutered but the female is not. I have been letting them meet on the lawn, not a confined space but your average size bunny proofed garden. I normally let them out apart and let them make them make advances, which goes alright at first but ultimately ends in a chase and then a fight. When they get tired they stop and more often then not it is at this time I separate them.
The female is currently housed in a pen indoors so they are getting used to each, and the male will sit next to the cage with his back to her (good sign or bad?) she will happily lie next to where he sits. Do I need a totally new approach?

A good place to start would be spaying the girlie, then waiting 6 weeks and starting again.

You need to make a neutral space inside (you can neutralise a space using a distilled vinegar solution), that is roughly 4ft by 2ft, put them together, supervise them completely (overnight) and see how that goes. That is the safest way and gives the maximum chance of success.

In a large space like a garden they have the opportunity to run and chase and this increases the likelihood of a fight (as you're finding out), also, with her not being spayed, hormones are likely to play a part as well which also makes bonding a huge challenge.

Although she is healthy my vet was not keen to spay her due to her age.
I will try your advice with a smaller space. I think the bathroom is the best spot as this is the only room where my bun doesn't go as he doesn't like the slippery floor. Do you think its best to put a rug down to stop him slipping or leave as is?
I'll let you know my progress.

Quite a few bunnies have been spayed at that age, it also helps to prevent uterus cancer in females as well as settle hormones.

Sky-O has given some excellent advice on bonding. Good luck and don't give up bonding just yet.

Although she is healthy my vet was not keen to spay her due to her age.
I will try your advice with a smaller space. I think the bathroom is the best spot as this is the only room where my bun doesn't go as he doesn't like the slippery floor. Do you think its best to put a rug down to stop him slipping or leave as is?
I'll let you know my progress.

There are many peopple on the forum who have had bunnies spayed who are older than she is. It might be worth looking for a vet that comes with a recommendation and if there is a concern due to her age maybe having pre operative blood tests done to try and identify if there are any unseen problems that might pose a problem under GA.

Back