• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie and Daisy's new pad....opinions???

CharlieBabbit

Warren Scout
Well, I wrote an earlier post about the fact that my house bunny Charlie had to be relegated to outdoor bunny as he is just too destructive with those bunny teeth of his! We bought him a girlfriend, Daisy Dukes and my sister and I have spent some of this week converting the shed and putting up a gate so that they can have the alley between my house and garage.

This is the result and any opinions, advice, suggestions are welcome....

The 'alley' has a tunnel, portable lawn (lol!) and hay trough at the moment. The trough will be getting a roof tomorrow so will be rain proof...

P8210001.jpg

View of the alley towards the gate....

P8210003.jpg

Inside of the shed. There is a hayhole under the ramp (an upturned half-barrel with hidey hole), a dig-box on top of the hutch.....

P8210002.jpg

The 'watering hole'....with more hay and a litter tray...

P8210005.jpg

Another view. The top of the hayhole, the hutch and the shelves at the back all have carpet for grip and there are a variety of chew/throw toys such as balls, seagrass carrots, willow ring etc, oh and an old cat scratch post at the back with another hidey hole in it....

P8210006.jpg

The portable lawn will be put in once or twice a week for them to 'mow' and they will get a few veggies and stuff daily but I didn't know whether to add any more to the alley for entertainment and if so, what? I want them to still have binky room, don't want to overcrowd their new pad but any suggestions guys??? xx

Last edited:
:shock: what an amazing bunny palace! That looks absolutely great! There is so much for them to do in there, you've done a fab job!

Lucky bunnies!

that looks like a fantastic use of space and a lovely place to go and spend time with them :D The shed is a very pretty colour too.

Where did you get your bottle holder, if you don't mind me asking? I planned to make one but never got round to it...

awww thanks guys, it means a lot, it took soooo long to sort and although I am heartbroken at having to put the buns outside as I won't see them so often, I have really enjoyed watching them explore their new home and yes, Battlekat, it's plenty big enough for me to sit in with them for huggles and also, I am overhauling the garden too and will bunny-proof it so that when I'm in the garden, I can just open the gate and let Charlie and Daisy have the run of that aswell :)

The bottleholder is home-made hon. It's just two pieces of wood fixed at a right angle with a hole drilled in for the bottle's nozzle and then the hoop thing is just a drain-pipe bracket....then all were painted in the same paint as the shed (Cuprinol's Shades - Willow)

ooooooooooooooh I love it!:love::love::love::love:

I thought maybe you could add this...:oops::p

An awning from the shed...to give you shelter in the winter months when you open it and dont have to stand in the rain or snow...and also perhaps a mesh door on the shed too...then when they cant come out or you want them in the shed ...you can leave the main door open and the mesh one closed...does this make sense?:? Then they can see out etc....

I also thought maybe as you will miss them being outside...you could build a shelf or something under your window so they can hop up and look in at you?
Not sure what room it looks into...
or move the trough to under the window and build the cover over it and that can be the shelf/top they can sit on and look at you indoors...;)

A big log of apple branch or something they can jump on & gnaw...

I love what youve done....runs outside and starts measuring up sidewalk....mmmm...wonder if OH will mind we can get the bins out etc?:lol::lol::love::love:

Last edited:
ooooooooooooooh I love it!:love::love::love::love:

I thought maybe you could add this...:oops::p

An awning from the shed...to give you shelter in the winter months when you open it and dont have to stand in the rain or snow...and also perhaps a mesh door on the shed too...then when they cant come out or you want them in the shed ...you can leave the main door open and the mesh one closed...does this make sense?:? Then they can see out etc....

I also thought maybe as you will miss them being outside...you could build a shelf or something under your window so they can hop up and look in at you?
Not sure what room it looks into...
or move the trough to under the window and build the cover over it and that can be the shelf/top they can sit on and look at you indoors...;)

A big log of apple branch or something they can jump on & gnaw...

I love what youve done....runs outside and starts measuring up sidewalk....mmmm...wonder if OH will mind we can get the bins out etc?:lol::lol::love::love:

Lol! Mine was used for bins before too....the bins in the alley and the recycling in the shed. One good thing (and there aren't many :cry:) about my hubby being in Afghanistan is that he isn't here to complain and by the time he returns in January, it will have been a long term 'done deal'!!!

I'm not sure about the awning idea for practical reasons but maybe a slight roof extension to keep out that rain. I do like the mesh door idea though and will look into that, thanks.

As for the window peeking....those rooms are my son's bedroom and the window is almost permanently open so really don't need to give bunnies access to that (a plethora of wires for the munching and a smelly teenager....not wise!) and the other room is my 'hedgehog room'. I breed African Pygmy Hedgehogs and that room is set up for them with full heating/lighting etc....not much of a view for the buns.

Unfortunately, I have an upside-down house so I will be at first floor level so buns cannot peek it to say hi to mum :(

I will spend lots of time with them though, it's just not the same as having them permanently hopping round you feet like they did indoors.

Its amazing! I just have one suggestion though, that you get rid of the shavings on the floor and put down lino. It will make your life sooo much easier and is kinder to the bunnies wee lungs :wave:

Lol! Mine was used for bins before too....the bins in the alley and the recycling in the shed. One good thing (and there aren't many :cry:) about my hubby being in Afghanistan is that he isn't here to complain and by the time he returns in January, it will have been a long term 'done deal'!!!

I'm not sure about the awning idea for practical reasons but maybe a slight roof extension to keep out that rain. I do like the mesh door idea though and will look into that, thanks.

As for the window peeking....those rooms are my son's bedroom and the window is almost permanently open so really don't need to give bunnies access to that (a plethora of wires for the munching and a smelly teenager....not wise!) and the other room is my 'hedgehog room'. I breed African Pygmy Hedgehogs and that room is set up for them with full heating/lighting etc....not much of a view for the buns.

Unfortunately, I have an upside-down house so I will be at first floor level so buns cannot peek it to say hi to mum :(

I will spend lots of time with them though, it's just not the same as having them permanently hopping round you feet like they did indoors.

Im sorry your hubbies away ...that must be very hard:(...but LOVE that you are doing it before he gets back...you'll have to hang a "welcome home Daddy" sign from the bunnies! over their shed door!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:Your sons bedroom and the hedgehogs rooms! :lol::lol::lol:Maybe not a good idea for a shelf looking in then!:lol::lol:

I dont mind either way - my head got carried away with more and more ideas...your whole house would have been converted and youd be in the shed!:lol: Just kidding!;)

I think its great...the lino is a good idea and someone has put floor mats down for sore hock buns...but it would def. save you alot on aubiose and also the buns will associate that with their litter tray...so if its everywhere they might start to wee everywhere...:roll:

I think its lovely!:love:

Back