• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Mischief has intestinal worms, advice?

I think Mischief has intestinal worms, he has the symptoms and has lost lots of weight. :cry: Even feeding him separately has had no effect. :(

We're buying panacur from vetuk now, do you think I need to get fibreplex too?

Thank you

ETA: We have bought enough panacur to worm all my rabbits just incase it's spread to the others too. We haven't bought fibreplex but we can order it if it's needed.

Oh and if you are wondering:

My parents said that we can worm him and if his weight still doesn't increase we will take him to the vet but they said it's pointless taking him beforehand if they're just going to charge us £10 just to say we need to buy wormer. We can't afford to just keep spending money at the moment due to the rabbits having various health problems and the boarding we had to pay for so they are only spending money at the vets when we have to. If there was something wrong like he stopped eating, we'd be down there straight away. He seems fine in himself, just so so skinny hence we believe he has worms.

Last edited:
Wht symptoms is it he has other than weight loss?

I personally have dealt with pinworms on lots of occassions (not inter-related with each other) and have never seen weightloss. The 'symptom' I have seen, or the evidence I have seen, is in the poo and only in the poo.

Have you seen anything in the poo?

Wht symptoms is it he has other than weight loss?

I personally have dealt with pinworms on lots of occassions (not inter-related with each other) and have never seen weightloss. The 'symptom' I have seen, or the evidence I have seen, is in the poo and only in the poo.

Have you seen anything in the poo?

sometimes it's very dark and squashy ?

Can you see worms in his poo? I'm not sure if some types are microscopic but some definitely can be seen.

Has he lost any more weight since you were worried about him before? What is his weight now compared to his ideal weight?

(I don't have any answers but I know that the people who *might* have answers will be asking you these questions, so thought I might as well get in there first.)

If it helps any, Shadow's ideal weight would be 2.6kg, when he was 2kg the vets said watch him carefully and if he gets to 1.8kg to consider it urgent. The tests he had for weight loss were x-ray and blood tests for liver/kidney function etc but also for E. Cuniculi (Panacur will be useful to give in this case as well, of course). He also had his teeth very carefully examined under sedation but you already know the score with Mischief's teeth so feeding him separately is your solution to him eating more slowly.

Last edited:
Can you see worms in his poo? I'm not sure if some types are microscopic but some definitely can be seen.

Has he lost any more weight since you were worried about him before? What is his weight now compared to his ideal weight?

(I don't have any answers but I know that the people who *might* have answers will be asking you these questions, so thought I might as well get in there first.)

If it helps any, Shadow's ideal weight would be 2.6kg, when he was 2kg the vets said watch him carefully and if he gets to 1.8kg to consider it urgent. The tests he had for weight loss were x-ray and blood tests for liver/kidney function etc but also for E. Cuniculi (Panacur will be useful to give in this case as well, of course). He also had his teeth very carefully examined under sedation but you already know the score with Mischief's teeth so feeding him separately is your solution to him eating more slowly.

Thanks. I haven't noticed worms in his poo but to be honest I never looked for any. :(

He is about 1.4kg now which is much too small. I can feel his spine and he just looks ill. :( We've been weighing him but we get a different result each time, that might be due to our rubbish scales. But everyone who's seen him thinks he's much too underweight. :cry:

Is Tink her ideal weight, what does she weigh? (Assuming they are naturally the same size). ... Just as a guide to how much underweight he is.

Is it smelly? Are the caecotrophs or are they regular poo?

Have you seen worms in that dark, manky, squish?

I haven't noticed them smelling, or seen worms but i will definitely be looking now. Sometimes i find caecotrophs but more often it's just squishy round poo, it is small sometimes too.

To be honest, Jane beat me to it. The dark, squishy poo, weight loss, but still bright, is what I too have come to associate with liver problems (although I do now just look like I'm jumping on a bandwagon :lol:).

I think the only sensible way forwards would be to see the vet. They will be able to feel what his liver feels like, for example, if it feels enlarged.

Then he *needs* to see a Vet. *If* he has a Liver problem giving Panacur may make things much worse. It will be a false economy to delay going to a Vet as it could end up being a far more costly event if a problem remains undiagnosed and therefore untreated.

If it's a liver problem, what can they do? Can they help him? :cry: He's so special to me, i can't lose him. :cry:

If it's a liver problem, what can they do? Can they help him? :cry: He's so special to me, i can't lose him. :cry:

Lets not jump the gun. It may not be anything to do with his liver. For example weightloss, squishy poo and excessive drinking also occur in some Dental Buns.

Far better to get him to a Vet, discuss the various possibilities that may be causing his symptoms and go from there. A simple blood test (cost about £30-£40) would show if his liver is functioning OK. The Vet will be able to detect an enlarged liver by abdominal examination.

There are several causes of Liver problems, some very treatable. But it is always far better for both the Rabbit AND your Bank Balance to address the issues sooner rather than later :)

Lets not jump the gun. It may not be anything to do with his liver. For example weightloss, squishy poo and excessive drinking also occur in some Dental Buns.

Far better to get him to a Vet, discuss the various possibilities that may be causing his symptoms and go from there. A simple blood test (cost about £30-£40) would show if his liver is functioning OK. The Vet will be able to detect an enlarged liver by abdominal examination.

There are several causes of Liver problems, some very treatable. But it is always far better for both the Rabbit AND your Bank Balance to address the issues sooner rather than later :)

Thank you Jane, well he is a dental bun, has had his incisors removed. I will get him to a vet though before i touch the panacur. I lost my jasper bun 2 weeks ago and i'm not going to lose my other special boy too. :( They mean everything to me, thank you for your help. Looks like i'm going to need to sell some things to get more money. :)

Youve already had great advise, I just wanted to send loads of vibes and nose rubs for Mischief xxx
And (((hugs))) to you, you must be so worried so soon after losing Jasper :cry:

Oh Emma, only just seen this :( Hugs for you and vibes for Mischeif, hoping the vets will get him right as rain soon xxxxxxxxx

Sending vibes!

Just a quick side question. Does he eat hay? Grim doesn't so I give him pellets on his own every 4 - 6 hours. If I don't do that he looses weight quite quickly because it's all he eats.

Back