• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionhead coat care.

I posted a few weeks back opn my rescued lionhead Gordon - he was days for starving to death when i got him and in poor condition. However hes doubled in weight now, you can feel a very very thin layer of fat on his ribs but hes improved no end and gives me the run around in the mornings bouncing round the garden - is fine by me because he could barely move when i got him.

What im after now is a bit more insight into his coat care, he was in a bit of a mess when i got him and ive spent the last few weeks trimming knots out and brushing the not so bad bits out, im keeping him trimmed around his bottom etc to prevent him getting in a mess.

I work as a dog groomer so am well aware on general coat care keeping coats knot free etc etc, but id just like to hear anyones advice on how they care for their lionheads coat, at the moment he being brushed once a week just keeping the dead hair down and making sure no knots etc. is there anything i should be aware of with his coat?? What about shedding etc??

Cheers in advance.

With brushing, it varies so much with lionheads as to how often you have to do it, so as long as you're making sure hes knot-free, especially underneath the surface, you're doing okay. I trim my lionhead around the bum area, to minimize the risk of flystrike, but it also stops her matting there.

When rabbits moult they can be a bit down, and a good diet is essential, lots of fibre helps move the hair through the system and prevents blockages, so its even more important than normal at this time to make sure that they always have unlimited of the types of hay they like available, and are eating only a small amount of concentrate. Pineapple is also meant to help prevent blockages, although it is said that it has to be fresh pineapple (no idea why!). I feed my buns these about 3 times a week when they are moulting: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hea...Remedy+:+Treat+Ums+for+Small+Animals.644.html

edit: also a bit of general advice, if he was starving in his last home I would get his back teeth checked out, as no doubt he wasnt given enough hay to eat, and they may have become overgrown and painful.

Last edited:
Hiya thanks ever so much, sounds like im on the right track - in all honesty hes abreeze compared to my full coated american cocker but hes been so badly treated im determined hes not going to miss out any more!!he got a full check up and his teeth are fine - and hes eating well, i also make sure he has unlimited hay too .

My Roland HATES his face being touched, but its got to be done.
Just be gentle,patient and he will get used to you grooming him.

I have a double maned lionhead lady :) She is pretty patient with being groomed but I couldn't keep up with her coat and shedding this spring so for the first time I trimmed her all round her face - it has been much less stressful for both of us to give her a good haircut once a month or so.:D

Ahh is this the gorgeous grey and white boy? :) If so he is SUCH a cutie!

He looks like he has a fuller coat than my lionhead who can get away with a thorough brush once a week. I always feel with my fingers right down to the skin around the neck as sometimes you miss areas that are starting to matt by just brushing the surface.

Hope he's getting on well! :)

oh heavens no he doesnt need clipping - hes well brushed out now, and if he did id do it myself wont be the first one ive done - just wanted to check im on track doing the right thing regards brushing etc.

Hes brilliant to be brushed out just sits there so i dont see any problems even his face and belly he doesnt mind :D

CazSho, i used to groom a lionhead buck before i closed my grooming shop to have my baby this time last year - they were the same brushed him but found it all a bit much so he was clipped down a bit every 3 months or so they loved it!!

Back