• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grunting

nicoleferniex

Warren Scout
Hi guys just a general question, nothing serious. I have an un-neutered doe. Her name is Ziggy, she is 9 months old....

Recently when I have been putting my hand into Ziggys cage she has been running quite quickly towards me and grunting, its not an angry grunt but i get a fright and pull my hand away quickly, this usually happens when im going to feed her.

She is an indoor bun and when she isnt in her cage this does not happen, could it be that she is being territorial but does not mean any harm?

She is very very friendly and affectionate, I am just curious as what the grunting means? Wether she is happy to see me and know she is getting fed or if she wants me out of her space.

She will be going in to get neutered very shortly, being an unemployed student doesnt exactly rake the cash in incase people think i dont intend to get her neutered

Thanks for any help xx

It's cage aggression, she feels you are in her space. It's due to her hormones. :)

Yes I should think so, as long as it doesn't become ingrained in her. My Nutmeg used to be like that in her old home, she came to me aged 2 and I had her neutered as soon as I was sure she didn't have any serious underlying health problems and now for the most part she is ok about other people.

She's watching me, she knows I'm talking about her :lol:

Yes I should think so, as long as it doesn't become ingrained in her. My Nutmeg used to be like that in her old home, she came to me aged 2 and I had her neutered as soon as I was sure she didn't have any serious underlying health problems and now for the most part she is ok about other people.

She's watching me, she knows I'm talking about her :lol:

Thanks.

its just recently started in the last 4 weeks, we also had a new addition to the family (a pup) who she isnt quite so keen on just yet but they now dont mix unless Ziggy is in her cage where she is safe and the pup can only speak to her through the bars. not sure if this will be something to do with it but as soon as i get my student loan she will be the first thing i spend it on.

they are very clever, ziggy knows when i am talking about her lol..

are your buns affectionate? how many do you have

Personally I would try to keep the puppy away from her. It may be freaking her out and making her feel even more worried about her own space. Nutmeg was also in a home with a dog :lol: what a coincidence.

I have four, two are very affectionate, one (Nutmeg) likes it on her terms and Smudge isn't fussed and prefers bunny company.

Personally I would try to keep the puppy away from her. It may be freaking her out and making her feel even more worried about her own space. Nutmeg was also in a home with a dog :lol: what a coincidence.

I have four, two are very affectionate, one (Nutmeg) likes it on her terms and Smudge isn't fussed and prefers bunny company.

They dont mix now unless Ziggys secure in her cage. I made the mistake when we first got the pup as Ziggy attacked me (obviously thinking i was bad for bringing this pup into the house) .. we didnt think it would be a problem as when Ziggy came here we had a dog who passed away in May which is why we got the pup ..

Ziggy is very affectionate, she loves kisses and bunny flops when ur lying in bed, she must be relaxed knowing im relaxed lol.. i did have 2 bunnys but unfortunately i lost one back in feb due to stasis, i got a hard time on the forum for it, people took it like i had let him die when it wasnt that way at all... would love to rescue a bunny but went to enquire at the rspca rehoming centre and they sayd no due to us having 4 pets already, dont know anybody around here who rescues buns and who i could get to help me with bonding.

The more frightened you get and react to her, the more she will do it. You need to force yourself to be calm and carry on when she does that. Watch her ears for signs of a problem, if they start to go up and down, then just calmy remove your hand.

Ziggy didn't attack you because 'obviously thinking i was bad for bringing this pup into the house' she attacked you because it was a predator smell and it was her fight or flight instinct. Chances are this may be why she is acting as she is. She is scared of that smell.

By having the puppy only interact with her while she is in the cage it doesn't work that she will feel safe, it will work that she feels unsafe in that space and unable to get away from the threat.

You need to keep them properly apart for now. It may mean building a barrier around her cage, or moving it out of the dogs reach.

Spaying is also likely to help but may not if this is all based around the fear of your puppy.

The more frightened you get and react to her, the more she will do it. You need to force yourself to be calm and carry on when she does that. Watch her ears for signs of a problem, if they start to go up and down, then just calmy remove your hand.

Ziggy didn't attack you because 'obviously thinking i was bad for bringing this pup into the house' she attacked you because it was a predator smell and it was her fight or flight instinct. Chances are this may be why she is acting as she is. She is scared of that smell.

By having the puppy only interact with her while she is in the cage it doesn't work that she will feel safe, it will work that she feels unsafe in that space and unable to get away from the threat.

You need to keep them properly apart for now. It may mean building a barrier around her cage, or moving it out of the dogs reach.

Spaying is also likely to help but may not if this is all based around the fear of your puppy.

she very rarely gets to see the pup as shes in my room and i dont want to stop the pup coming in my room either, but when the pup does come in my room Ziggy runs up and gives the pup kisses, if she was frightened wouldnt she hide in her box?

she very rarely gets to see the pup as shes in my room and i dont want to stop the pup coming in my room either, but when the pup does come in my room Ziggy runs up and gives the pup kisses, if she was frightened wouldnt she hide in her box?

I thought you said she was in her cage when he was in your room?

I think that if that is the case then she has established the boundaries of where he can't go (like when rabbits can get on either side of the barrier but not with each other), but I still believe that she is acting this way because of his smell on you.

You have a responsibility to both animals and what is best for them, not you.

I thought you said she was in her cage when he was in your room?

I think that if that is the case then she has established the boundaries of where he can't go (like when rabbits can get on either side of the barrier but not with each other), but I still believe that she is acting this way because of his smell on you.

You have a responsibility to both animals and what is best for them, not you.

yes sorry she is in her cage when the pups in my room.

Back