• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recent heat, what to do?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi i'm a bit unsure what to do with the rabbits today. It has been very hot where we are and although the sun is not shining in the garden now it is still quite hot. The rabbits have the whole shed open as the whole front of it and sides are made up of doors and they have ice packs in thier hutches. My main concern is putting them outside and them over heating but it means they'll be stuck in the hutches. What should i do?

:wave:a dish of ice cubes in their run will help. also, towels soaked in cold water, draped over their run and frequently wetted. :wave:

Ours have a hutch in the shed also, but unless it's raining or bedtime or really cold they're outside in their run as the shed gets too hot even with doors and window open. At least outside they will feel any breeze and make sure they're in the shade or partial shade even if the run has a blocked off portion on it because as the sun moves, so will the shade and there's been more than one occasion when the lid on the run has been shading the grass the bunnies can't reach!

The shed is fully open. The whole front is just doors and there is a side door and a big window on the other side of the shed which is opened. The hutches are all in the open apart from the roof and the back of the shed. Where the shed is it doesn't get too hot in it as you'd expect and now the sun isn't shining in our garden as the garden slopes up a hill so it is blocked by the trees.

It is just outside in the garden it is still quite hot and the run on the patio, the ground feels hot so i'm not sure what to do for the best really.

They have ice packs in the hutches and are laying next to them.

It is hot isn't it. I'm worried about Smudge. Mine are indoors but it's still warm, they have ice pods but Smudge is the one who won't use them :roll: I've been trying to get a breeze through but I can only open the small windows as they could jump out the big ones :shock:

I went onto the hay experts and bought my bun a cooling tile. It can be put in the fridge/freezer for a hot day and then put into the hutch or run or wherever your rabbit chills. My bun flops straight onto it as its cool and loves it. In the heat it is a daily used item!

Its made of marble so it keeps cool for them :)

I went onto the hay experts and bought my bun a cooling tile. It can be put in the fridge/freezer for a hot day and then put into the hutch or run or wherever your rabbit chills. My bun flops straight onto it as its cool and loves it. In the heat it is a daily used item!

Its made of marble so it keeps cool for them :)

:thumb: Granite will also do the same :)

I ended up not putting any of them outside today. I'm hoping it'll not be so hot tomorrow so they can go out. It was actually cooler in the shed than outside of it which was strange.

The tiles idea might be good. We have had to make some repairs to a few hutches and put down some wood that had a shiny surface and they tend to like laying on that as it is cool. I watched them during the day and they were not heavily breathing so i believe it was better for them to remain inside for today.

Can agree with the ice cubes and old tiles for them to lay on. Mine have a large marble chopping board, nice and cool. Their shed is insulated so still gets warm but not hot. Perhaps put a foil cover over the shed roof, the ones you can buy for a car windscreen. They are tough and only cost a coupld of pounds too :wave:

Hi sorry i haven't been on in a while. The shed was built by my dad. It isn't like a "normal" shed. It is all doors from one side across the front and a big window on the other side. The roof is half wood covered with a waterproof sheet and the front half of the roof is plastic. It doesn't usually get hot in the shed as we open it all up and put ice packs in the hutches. The vets have said we have been doing everything right by doing that.

I wish i could upload a picture of the shed to show you what it looks like. It may help to visualise things better? I'll try to find a picture and see if i can upload it. The hutches are all lined up along the left wall of the garden and the "shed" was built around them so it's more of a rectangle thing with wndows all along it. The doors are clear plastic with wooden dividers to hold it together so the shed is open. When we cover the rabbits at night we have a gazebo, well we don't use that but two removable sides of it have hooks so we put them up on placed nails and they both fit perfectly along the "shed"

Ok concerning the heat i was just wondering if anyone else's rabbits sometimes get little wet under the nose during the heat only?

Back