• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help

dsutton06

New Kit
Really stressful day, I had to take my georgeous girlie girl Pheonix to the vets today as she has lost alot of weight, when i got her from the RSPCA she only weighed 1.2 but shes now down to 1 which is frightning they checked her teeth temp which were all fine and the vet was abit baffled exept for the fact that he thought she might have a larger than normal liver!!!!!! She seems to not like hay but is happy to eat grass herbs apples peppers carrots nuggets etc so hes given me some bio-lapis to sprinkle on her food and asked me to go back on weds for a check up and blood tests if he thinks nessasary and ive brought her in the house for night times so I can feed her lots of the foods she enjoys without my other two cuties Bubbles and Magic pinching it off of her plus I can monitor how much shes pooing drinking eating resting etc. My questions are is there a chance she just doesnt like hay and maybe is more suited as a house rabbit, what could this larger than normal liver mean and also will my other rabbits be ok with her if I keep separating them and putting her back again?

Some rabbits just dont eat hay, they do need it for their teeth though grass and herbage will help with that though.

Not sure re her liver other than that it could be pressing on other organs, restricting blood flow and also reducing the amount of space her stomach has - these are all just educated guesses though

Whether the splitting upsets them will really depend on them and the bond they have. If it is only for an hour or so a day they should be ok

yep some just dont like to hay, no matter what you try. my Barney doesnt eat hay and he is under weight so maybe this is symptomatic. barney has dental problems though.
I think you should keep the partial separation going as you are, i think if its only for a bit each day then she prob wont mind too much as webble says. maybe if she is stuggling to get food from the others it could be symptomatic of an underlying problem.
do you have faith in your vet and are they very rabbit savvy?

Hi,

Well done for taking her, I'm very glad you did.

That is very worrying and teeth would have been easier to fix, but as we talked about, it's not unexpected that she has something going on 'inside'.

It's not ideal to separate her for long periods of time from the others. That is likely to increase her stress. I would suggest you follow the advice I sent in the e-mail I sent you yesterday.

I think blood tests would be sensible to see if there is anything obvious standing out as a problem.

We do know she does eat hay because you said that she was eating the other bale, so I would stand by my suggestion of trying a variety of hays and seeing if she will eat any of those in preference, but if not, the grass will be fine for her to keep eating.

If it appears her liver is not 100% then you're going to need to be very aware that her gut may not tolerate changes very well, so they will need to be done carefully and monitored.

If you could give me a ring tomorrow to tell me all that the vet said that would be much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you, and hope you all have a comfortable night. :)

Hay

My BunBun doesn't like hay. I've tried all kinds! He really doesn't like pellets either. He is a house bunny and very spoiled. I garden and he get a lot of fresh organic vegetables, herbs, and limited fruits. He will only eat a tad bit of hay if it is very soft and I hand feed it to him, other wise he just takes it and throws it on the ground.

Back