• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hibiscrub help

hi guys am new here
i took my mini lop eared to the vet today and she had scabs on her lips they have gave me this to use as she is pregnant dont know when this are due ??
but they said to use this on her as they cant give her anti-b while she is pregnant
i done as bottle told me but the only problem is when i am trying to put it on the lip and under the chin she is freaking out so i ended up using a cotton bud to dab it on to it but she still went mental over this
is they anyway i can do this with out stressing her as i dont want her to lose the babies
also do i only just dab it on and throw the rest away or do i have to use all i have made up
thank you

You just need to clean her lips with it and you can throw the rest (I assume the vet told you to dilute it) away once you have finished. If she is freaking out how are you restraining her? I find it best to keep them on the floor and hold them firmly on the shoulders. They feel safer if all 4 paws are on the floor.

Did the vet suggest why she had scabs on her lips?

I am not surprised that she is freaking out, Hibiscrub can sting like hell.

I cant advise you to go against the prescribed treatment of your Vet, but there is no way I'd be putting Hibiscrub on my Rabbit's mouth

Does she have Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphillis), this causes lesions on the mouth and genitals. It can just effect one or the other. If she does then neither she nor her kits or the stud Buck should be used for breeding again.

Personally I would just use a mild sterile saline solution on the lesions. But as I have said, I cant advise you to disregard what you Vet has said so I would contact him/her again to see if they have any suggestions. I assume you are diluting the Hibiscrub, not using it neat ?

it some bractrail thing it not that rabbit S.T.I lol she checked all that area and that all fine it could be when she is run down from being up the duff lol
i was having her wrapped in a towel and dabbing it on just on the scabs and not near where the mouth opens and just under the chin i am hoping that she can have a jab once she has had the kits so i dont have to stress her more then i have too the poor ******

You should really be using povidone iodine on mucus membranes. Your vet shouldn't have given you hibi :( I think you need to find a different vet who is exotic/rabbit friendly as an exotic vet would never suggest the use of hibi.

You should really be using povidone iodine on mucus membranes. Your vet shouldn't have given you hibi :( I think you need to find a different vet who is exotic/rabbit friendly as an exotic vet would never suggest the use of hibi.

they are the only ones that do all that in my town it not right on her mouth it just a little under and under chin they said they cant give her anything else while she is pregnant :(

Are you sure it wasn't hibitane? It's different to hibiscrub I think, i've been given it for wound cleaning by my vets :wave:

Back