• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Bonded girls started to fight... : (

NMJC53

New Kit
Hi,
I have had my 2 female bunnies for 2 weeks now. They are approx 10-12 weeks old, and were a bonded pair when I got them (have been since weaning apparently). Until last night that have gotten on really well - always grooming each other and laying together etc, but last night they had quite a nasty fight. I have no idea how it started as I was out of the room at the time but heard the commotion and came straight in to find them rolling around the floor with tufts of fur flying everywhere! I grabbed the first one I could get hold of and put her in the travel box I have for them..
Kept them seperated like this for a while and checked them both over - there doesn't seem to be any wounds so carefully reintroduced them in the pen (didn't allow them into the cage) and they were perfectly fine with each other - back to grooming etc. Watched over for them for a while and they were fine so left them for the night with no further problems.

Let them out this morning, they had breakfast fine, and a run around like normal but then I heard them fighting again. Went running in making lots of noise, which obviously frightened them because they both ran back into ther cage and hid together.
I work quite long hours (partly why I got 2 in the first place!) so didn't want to leave them alone without anyone around to break up the fights. I have separated the 2 levels of their cage and they are now shut in them until I get home. The cages are right next to each other and they are able to touch noses through the bars.

I really don't want to separate them permanently as they usually get along so well, but also don't want either bunny to get seriously hurt.
Had always planned to have them both spayed, but was told to wait until they're 6 months old - is it too early to have them both done now?
How can I stop them from fighting?

Yes, its too early for them to be done, but you will need to now seperate them and keep them seperate until post-spay at ~6 months (ask your vet when they would be happy to do this)..

You can keep them in seperate areas close to each other though for comfort and company.

Thanks for your quick reply..

Will they still be bonded and be able to live together after the op?

Would it be ok for them to run together while being supervised?

Hi!

The same thing happened to our girls too. After their first fight, they were 'mostly' ok together, but every now and then they'd have another bust up.

We also split them after the first fight, and kept them in adjacent pens. we did, however, allow them to be together whenever we were there to supervise, as they looked sad on their own. We just didn't leave them unattended until after their spays (they went in for their spays together and woke up together and have been together ever since).

I can't comment on most of the bonding aspect, there are other more experienced bonders than me; but I can say that mounting is just one rabbit saying they are more dominant than the other - it is fairly natural for a bunny to do this

Back