• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe Feeding Help

mnemonic50

Young Bun
To cut a long story short, my Bunny Bailey was found to be underweight on a visit to the Vet for an ear problem. Vet today has said i need to do 3-4 hourly syringe feeding and go back wed morning. Possibility of admission wednesday for a full look at teeth under anaesthetic as looking down the scope she could see once side was overgrown and other side is too small.

BUT - Im struggling to syringe feed him. Hes not interested, ive tried putting it on veg as he munches away on veg but ignores it once i put it on. He gets sick of me trying to put some in his mouth and eventually gets sick and nips me (very lightly) to say hes fed up.

Does anyone have any tips on syringe feeding techniques please?

Last edited:
I've had to do a lot of this recently and I have to say me and my sister took a tag team approach. I would hold Buttons as still as I could and try and gentley hold his head in one position, my sister then sryinged the food in.

How big is the syringe? We've found that the thinner ones are easier to get in the rabbits mouth and ours seemed to like it better. It does however mean that you will need to do this process for longer to get the same amount in them.

I have managed to syringe feed by myself - I usually kneel on the floor and hold bunny between my knees, I then hold his head still with my left hand feed with my right, Buttons doesn't really struggle if I hold him like this.

I'd unfortunatly say just to persevere. Buttons got used to it in about 4 days, but he's still not happy when we do it.

I hope this helps and that Bailey gets better!

Lauren

Is it critical care you are feeding? Mine like it and will eat it off a little flat dish or lid if they are not too poorly. Some people advocate doloping a bit on to a front paw so they lick it off and maybe "get the taste".

If he is eating ok why has the vet suggested syringing rather than just offering more food/food more regularly? Does he munch veg but not hay perhaps? Does he have any pellets/museli?

If I have to syringe I put them on the kitchen table on a towel, bottom to my tummy, hold them steady by the shoulders, lean forward over their back to prevent "rearing up", hand over head, lift lip insert syringe on top of toungue and press plunger slowly.

Hes eating veg and some hay put barely touching his pellets, hence the syringe feeding. Ive put some in a dish but hes not bothered so far.

Back