• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have been asked to participate in a trial for new rabbit food...U/D FAO TAMSIN

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I just had a call from **** asking if I would like to participate in a trial for some new high fibre rabbit food they have been developing, and give them some feedback. I haven't said yes or no yet as I wanted to get RU's opinion. I'm not sure whether it sounds like a good thing to do :?

Basically it is a new pellet they have been developing that is not being sold yet. They have 2 versions and want me to try both with my buns. They said if I would participate, they would send me a big bag of each food, and I would gradually introduce one to the buns, and feedback on how I thought they were doing with it, and then I would gradually introduce the other one and do the same. I asked to talk to their nutritionist to find out what is in these new pellets. The ingredients/quantities are:

19% fibre
13% protien
3% fat
7.5% ash

Ingredients:
Alfafa
Soya hulls
wheat
wheat seed
cellulose
linseed
pea fibre
beet pulp
soya oil
sunflower oil
herbs, dandelions amd fenugreek

(the other version is practically the same really)

I'm a bit worried about the thought of changing their diet twice (albeit slowly).

Last edited:
How long a period do you have to introduce/swap?

Unless your buns have sensitive tums changing shouldn't cause an issue as long as it is gradual. It also depends how much dry food you feed, if you only feed a little anyway it won't have much impact.

If you're unsure you could suggest they try some rescues, although that might not be the same bunnies for both tests with the number of bunnies the have they could give a broader picture of how well rabbits did on each.

*** have been good to me and the buns in the past, and supplied me with some nice free hay :love: I told them I wanted to check with my vet before saying yes or no :lol:

Last edited:
Well, I know some pellets that are better than that nutritially now anyway. I dont think there is much point upsetting their diet if you can buy better pellets for them in stores from diferent brands. If it was healthier than ones easily avalible now i think it would have been a good idea to get a new healthy one on the market x :wave:

I think I'd be a bit cautious if they've had more than one stasis issue unless you have a good idea what caused it. Giving your vet a call is a good idea though.

You could always offer to recruit some volunteers for them if you wanted to helpout :)

Well, I know some pellets that are better than that nutritially now anyway. I dont think there is much point upsetting their diet if you can buy better pellets for them in stores from diferent brands. If it was healthier than ones easily avalible now i think it would have been a good idea to get a new healthy one on the market x :wave:

Yes, actually I just checked in the RR site in the diet bit, and there are pellets with a higher fibre content. The SS pellets that the buns are on now are the same fibre content as these new ones. So they are not exceptionally high in fibre.

Mmm, I'm thinking decision made :)

I think I'd be a bit cautious if they've had more than one stasis issue unless you have a good idea what caused it. Giving your vet a call is a good idea though.

You could always offer to recruit some volunteers for them if you wanted to helpout :)

Yes, I was just thinking this :D :lol:...2 free bags of food for willing RU tester buns :lol:...maybe **** could sweeten the deal by offering a lifetime supply of the new food if the tester buns like it :lol:

Last edited:
I said they could send me the bags and I'd look into it, but I wouldn't continue with the trialing if after the first day of introducing there would be ill effects xx

Tamsin, would it be ok if I suggested to the lady that she created an RU account and posted a thread to ask for volunteers for her trial?

Last edited:
Providing they give sufficient time for a gradual change over I'd be happy to try it. I have buns who've no known history of stasis problems so possibly not at such a high risk of anything untoward happening.

Burns Trial - a message from Burns

Hi Everyone,
I am the head nutritionist at Burns Pet Nutrition, a rabbit owner (four - all rescues!) and author of 'Bonding Rabbits'.

We are very excited about the possibility of a pelleted food to complete our range but we will still be promoting hay and greens as the bulk of the diet.

Please be assured that we are advising everyone taking part in the trial that they must introduce a new food gradually to avoid any digestive problems. I did a gradual introduction with my own four and have had no health issues with them - they love both foods!

Unfortunately, we have only produced a small trial and we have already selected our trial group - however if any RU members have been asked to participate and you have any queries please feel free to
e-mail me directly via fiona@burnspet.co.uk

Back