• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with mites please :o/ - How long should it take for Canaural to clear ear mites?

.x.Rach.x.

Alpha Buck
Hi,

When I got Lily, she had mites, which I treated with Ivermectin (fur and ear). I used the one for small rabbits as she was only 8 weeks old... although the last treatment I gave her wouldn't have been enough (as she weighs 7lb now)... everything has cleared up - including the scab in her ear.. but her ears still look quite bald. Should I buy some more ivermectin for larger bunnies? Would canaural work? As it looks like my other bun has caught the mites (it looked like Lily's mites were cleared up at the time I bonded them) as he's been shaking his head and scratching his ear, the first day I noticed this, we went straight to the vets where he was prescribed 3/4 drops of Canaural in each ear once a day, although I don't remember how long I'm supposed to give it for, it will be one week this friday, any ideas? Also, can you use Ivermectin and Canaural together? Is Canaural purely for ear mites or other types as well?

Thanks in advance :wave:

Last edited:
I've also noticed rapid breathing, he was breathing really fast before the vets. The vet just said rabbits do breathe fast, he doesn't usually lie there breathing so rapidly :(

I am not a vet but could it possibly be down to being hot?
My buns tend to breath more rapidly when they are hot.
Have you given him any medication?

I am not a vet but could it possibly be down to being hot?
My buns tend to breath more rapidly when they are hot.
Have you given him any medication?

The rooms quite cool downstairs :wave: Lewis is only on Canaural atm for his ears. I gave him some fibreplex because he wasn't happy with me touching his stomach, so maybe he was a bit bloated. I checked on him a minute ago and his breathing seems normal and he ran to me for a treat, so i hope he's ok :love: He really worries me sometimes.

Just keep an eye on him, make sure he is drinking enough and eating his hay that should keep things moving.
If you are still worried maybe a call to the vets tomorrow would be in order?

Just keep an eye on him, make sure he is drinking enough and eating his hay that should keep things moving.
If you are still worried maybe a call to the vets tomorrow would be in order?

He's still nomming hay :) And he ate his tea earlier, (fresh veggies) which was soaked in water. The vets round here is rubbish, I only took Lewis there as it was an emergency, I use the vets back home for vaccs etc. The vet we saw on Friday, talks to people like they're stupid, like you don't know anything about rabbits, and she disagrees with things the vet back home has said (who seem to have a better knowledge of bunnies)... :roll: Lewis dislikes her too ;) he jumped straight off the table onto my shoulder! After the appointment, she went to give him a little stroke which he didn't appreciate :evil: :lol:

This said vet also told us that Lottie was in good health, when they went for their myxo's - she passed away 7 days later :cry:

Lewis's breathing is normal this morning! Although, he's still shaking/scratching his ears and they look quite red, this is day 6 of Canaural 3-4 drops once a day, should his ears be better by now?

He's still nomming hay :) And he ate his tea earlier, (fresh veggies) which was soaked in water. The vets round here is rubbish, I only took Lewis there as it was an emergency, I use the vets back home for vaccs etc. The vet we saw on Friday, talks to people like they're stupid, like you don't know anything about rabbits, and she disagrees with things the vet back home has said (who seem to have a better knowledge of bunnies)... :roll: Lewis dislikes her too ;) he jumped straight off the table onto my shoulder! After the appointment, she went to give him a little stroke which he didn't appreciate :evil: :lol:

This said vet also told us that Lottie was in good health, when they went for their myxo's - she passed away 7 days later :cry:

:shock: :cry: How sad! I am really sorry for your loss! xx

Lewis's breathing is normal this morning! Although, he's still shaking/scratching his ears and they look quite red, this is day 6 of Canaural 3-4 drops once a day, should his ears be better by now?

I am afraid I do not know anything about ear drops, I would imagine a course of 7 days has been prescribed, in which case I would assume that there should be some improvement by now? :?

Personally I would take him back to the Vet. He may need all the accumulated debris cleaned from his ears. It may be that that is bothering him.

Personally I would take him back to the Vet. He may need all the accumulated debris cleaned from his ears. It may be that that is bothering him.

Hi guys :wave:

The vet said she couldn't see anything, just that it looked a bit inflamed (tbh she's useless) I always find that with useless vets, the rabbits don't want to behave... Lewis behaves perfectly for most vets, even went for a little stroke off the vet once :love:., or probably a munch on his tie ;) But, the vet from Fri always seems to be on, and she makes the bunnies feel threatened :|

I'd say there is an improvement, but he is still occasionally shaking his ear (Once before his drops today). He didn't want the drops today (he's been being good the last few days), so maybe he is feeling better :lol: His ears don't look red today... I'll prob give them a call later to see how many days he should be on the Canaural, I've read stuff about rabbits being on it for 3 weeks...

Back