• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of Dog Crates

sidereus7

Mama Doe
For those of you that use dog crates, what are the dimensions of them? I'm looking for a large dog crate, but I keep feeling like they are too small.

Also, where did you buy them?

Thanks! :wave:

The two places I know of is Pets at Home and Ebay have a good (cheaper!) selection as well.

A 48" dog crate is 4 ft long, that is what most people have, you can get bigger but they are a little harder to get hold of. Try and get one that is 3 ft wide, rather than 2 ft wide. A 4x3 crate gives the same area as a 6x2 hutch.

The size you get depends on how long they are going to spend in it, the longer they are shut in the bigger they need... If they are never going to have the door shut then any size is fine, if they are going to be shut in go for 48" minimum, if they are going to be shut in overnight or over 6 hours, I would personally say a bigger crate or one attached to a pen would be better. You can also build a second level in the crate which will increase the space they have.

Whatever you go for, remember indoor rabbits need as much space as outdoor, so try and stick to the rwaf guidlines (if they are free-range then the room counts as their 'run').

Thanks for the reply! I guess the sizes I was seeing were the standard ones, I just felt that 48" felt a little small.

My buns are basically free range buns, so they're never in their pens for long. :)

I'll have to check out eBay!

Thanks for the reply! I guess the sizes I was seeing were the standard ones, I just felt that 48" felt a little small.

My buns are basically free range buns, so they're never in their pens for long. :)

I'll have to check out eBay!

Personally it is too small for me too, I have a large rabbit that doesnt like to be confined. What I did is buy NIC panels and make a cage out of them, so you can make it as big as you need, and add extra levels too. The panels can be a pain to get hold of though, they are often on ebay, or you could just get a pen? This one is 4ftx 4ft http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DW2J4Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=AJLG0ID4LCYD5

eta- although if they are free-range they dont need a cage as such, you could just have their litter tray, food and water bowl etc in a corner. Right now my buns dont have a cage, they are just in my bedroom free-range.

Last edited:
I have two male buns who had a falling out and now must be kept separate. They take turns being the free range bun, so I need to be confident that one bun is secure while the other is playing.

I have used NIC cages for a couple years, but I find it difficult not to have a proper door, so I keep having to pop one panel on and off. I put clips so I feel more secure about it, but it's a bit of a pain. Also, whenever I need to move the NIC cages, it's a total pain in the butt, especially because I like to zip-tie a majority of the joints. I just like to shampoo the carpet in the bunny room every few months, because my boyfriend has a slight allergy to the hay and possibly the buns themselves.

Another thing that's nice about the dog crates is that it would have an actual floor. Currently, I have a lot of blankets underneath the buns in the NIC cages, and it's hard to yank them out and wash them and then put them back under the NIC cages. I feel like with the crates, I could take out the tray, totally sanitize it, and put it back. And I could remove the blankets a lot easier for washing.

Anyway, rambling on and on, I just want a good solution to the whole housing thing that doesn't involve NIC cubes. Something with a nice door, good flooring, and easily portable. I wish they made as many things for buns in the US as they do for dogs and cats. :(

I have two male buns who had a falling out and now must be kept separate. They take turns being the free range bun, so I need to be confident that one bun is secure while the other is playing.

I have used NIC cages for a couple years, but I find it difficult not to have a proper door, so I keep having to pop one panel on and off. I put clips so I feel more secure about it, but it's a bit of a pain. Also, whenever I need to move the NIC cages, it's a total pain in the butt, especially because I like to zip-tie a majority of the joints. I just like to shampoo the carpet in the bunny room every few months, because my boyfriend has a slight allergy to the hay and possibly the buns themselves.

Another thing that's nice about the dog crates is that it would have an actual floor. Currently, I have a lot of blankets underneath the buns in the NIC cages, and it's hard to yank them out and wash them and then put them back under the NIC cages. I feel like with the crates, I could take out the tray, totally sanitize it, and put it back. And I could remove the blankets a lot easier for washing.

Anyway, rambling on and on, I just want a good solution to the whole housing thing that doesn't involve NIC cubes. Something with a nice door, good flooring, and easily portable. I wish they made as many things for buns in the US as they do for dogs and cats. :(

oh dear, are they neutered and have you tried rebonding them in a neutral space? That sounds like an awkward situation.

Well I guess as they take turns in coming out they will be in the crate 12 hours each, so perhaps a NIC run attached to the crate would be a good alternative? All the bunny stuff would be inside the crate so wouldnt make a mess. I know Shuette on here made a proper door for her NIC cage, with a bolt and everything. Personally I just used carabiner (sp?) clips or ribbon to fasten the door, and cable ties to create the hinges.

oh dear, are they neutered and have you tried rebonding them in a neutral space? That sounds like an awkward situation.

Well I guess as they take turns in coming out they will be in the crate 12 hours each, so perhaps a NIC run attached to the crate would be a good alternative? All the bunny stuff would be inside the crate so wouldnt make a mess. I know Shuette on here made a proper door for her NIC cage, with a bolt and everything. Personally I just used carabiner (sp?) clips or ribbon to fasten the door, and cable ties to create the hinges.

Yes, they were both neutered before I tried bonding. We've tried bonding in two different places that I've lived in different neutral territories. They just get into a total fur-pulling lockdown fights and the last attempt ended with Eddison getting a bunny x-ray. :( He was alright, but after that, I just accepted that these two boys aren't meant to be together.

I think the dog crate plus a run would be a great idea. :) I'll put two levels in the dog crate and I bet they'll love it combined with a run!

Yeah we made a proper door but it was anything but simple sadly :(

For those of you that use dog crates, what are the dimensions of them? I'm looking for a large dog crate, but I keep feeling like they are too small.

Also, where did you buy them?

Thanks! :wave:

i have the size under XL u could fit a labrador or a siberian husky in it alright. i did want to get a bigger one but bf saw the one i have now at market and got it for £20 so not a bad deal anyways.

i made sure to throughly disinfect it before i put scooter in.

he also has a large pen that is 8ft by 3ft and has a secound level. soon hell have a 10ft by 5ft home soon all to himself :D

Back