• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unneutered bucks bonding

Sugarcube

Young Bun
Is it possible?
I was always curious as I've heard that female rabbits have to get neutered before they reach 2 years of age because they get cancer... But do males need the spaying for bonding? Would you say it's necessary?

Is it possible?
I was always curious as I've heard that female rabbits have to get neutered before they reach 2 years of age because they get cancer... But do males need the spaying for bonding? Would you say it's necessary?

It's an absolute requirement that both are neutered if you don't rabbits with their manhood ripped off.

Definitely, males can be difficult to bond when neutered so imagine it when in tact.

It's an absolute requirement that both are neutered if you don't rabbits with their manhood ripped off.

In Helens words, yes, if you don't you can strongly expect fighting and massive injuries and vet bills, but it has been known for bucks to be killed during a fight.

I have two boys (they are brothers and littermates), I got them when they were two months old and loads of people said I was crazy as they would fight to the death. They were fine until 4 months old and they they had a bit of a scuffle, no blood, just fur pulled out and chasing. I immediately whipped them down to the vets. Was so scared of risking them hurting each other and not being able to live together. Since having them neutered they are very happy together, no scuffles, a bit of humping now and then but nothing too bad, and they totally adore each other.

So I would say, yes absolutely get two boys done.

Is it possible?

Male rabbits are usually castrated and this should always be done at the earliest opportunity before their hormones kick in, this can be as early as 12 weeks and once the testicles drop.

This removes the chance of testicular cancers in male rabbits

If you have 2 brothers who are together they can stay together as long as they are neutered at the earliest opportunity, this gives them the best chance of remaining friends. If this does not happen and it is left to a later date. The cost of neutering 2 young male rabbits is only a fraction of the cost of patching up one or both male rabbits.

Male rabbits are usually castrated and this should always be done at the earliest opportunity before their hormones kick in, this can be as early as 12 weeks and once the testicles drop.

This removes the chance of testicular cancers in male rabbits

If you have 2 brothers who are together they can stay together as long as they are neutered at the earliest opportunity, this gives them the best chance of remaining friends. If this does not happen and it is left to a later date. The cost of neutering 2 young male rabbits is only a fraction of the cost of patching up one or both male rabbits.

I was so scared by people that my two wouldn't be able to live together that I was on edge for months waiting for them to be ready to go get neutered. The minute they had their scuffle that was it for me, they were booked into the vets the next day for the op! We were even due to go away camping for a few days and i had boarding booked for them but couldn't risk leaving them and the scuffle turn into proper fighting at the boarders. So we cancelled our camping holiday! Much to my husband's annoyance! But fingers crossed, and I know sometimes the bond can go wrong, they are fine and loving to each other and touch wood have never fought since! I hope it continues!!!

I was so scared by people that my two wouldn't be able to live together that I was on edge for months waiting for them to be ready to go get neutered. The minute they had their scuffle that was it for me, they were booked into the vets the next day for the op! We were even due to go away camping for a few days and i had boarding booked for them but couldn't risk leaving them and the scuffle turn into proper fighting at the boarders. So we cancelled our camping holiday! Much to my husband's annoyance! But fingers crossed, and I know sometimes the bond can go wrong, they are fine and loving to each other and touch wood have never fought since! I hope it continues!!!

The really important things with 2 males is to keep them together and to get them done at the earliest opportunity. They do need a good amount of space with lots to do, a tiny hutch with little exercise will not be a positive enviroment for a pair of males. There are many people on here who have managed for many years to keep 2 males together,

The really important things with 2 males is to keep them together and to get them done at the earliest opportunity. They do need a good amount of space with lots to do, a tiny hutch with little exercise will not be a positive enviroment for a pair of males. There are many people on here who have managed for many years to keep 2 males together,

That's really good to hear that two males can be successfully kept together. I have tried to give my two as much space as possible. they live in a 6 x 4 shed with a 6 x 4 run attached and get at least 2 hours a day in a massive run on the grass. So am hoping to keep them together.

Back