• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible fleas on house cat...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Our house cat Simba who has been injected with Program went to the vets last Saturday for a check up and today I have noticed possible flea dirt on him, when I spread his fur I can see tiny black specs?

Mum has now treated him with Frontline but I am worried for my buns?
They are not in close proximity to Simba becuase we keep them seperate but could we be a problem for them, for example can we walk fleas in to the bunnies room?
What about the Frontline, obviously we will not put any on the buns but what about if we touch something that Simba has rubbed against and it got frontline on it then we touch the buns?
Should we clean everything now?
I did the sheets yesterday and have hoovered this morning but obviously Simba roams around the house except for our room which is where the bunnies are so I am worried we are going to walk fleas in?
What about our sofa? My husband Dan sat on Mum and Dads sofa yesterday which is where Simba sleeps a lot of the time and he has sat on our sofa? :shock:

The frontline having touched things won't be a problem :)
We frontline our cats and my bunnys have been near things the cats must have touched and it's fine :wave:

Thankyou Steph!
I am so worried my babies are going to catch fleas and that the flea may be carrying myxi! :cry:

I very much doubt that the Frontline applied to the Cat would be a problem to your Rabbits. It will have been absorbed into the Cats skin so wont be transfered onto anything the Cat touches.

Any fleas that now fall from the cat will be dead. A dead flea does not bite and cannot transmit Myxi :)

The only species endangered by the Frontline are the Fleas.

Back