• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo Help Please - is this right?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
P1050162Small.jpg

:shock:

Most of them are normal, golden, and well formed and crumbly.

But look at the big 3. They are the size of 3 normal poops and very long. There are about 10-15 of them, mixed in with normal ones.

All are from Ginger (i can tell) - is this normal?! Anyone seen it before?

P1050162Small.jpg

:shock:

Most of them are normal, golden, and well formed and crumbly.

But look at the big 3. They are the size of 3 normal poops and very long. There are about 10-15 of them, mixed in with normal ones.

All are from Ginger (i can tell) - is this normal?! Anyone seen it before?

Yes I've seen different shaped ones especially when they are moulting, I think consistency is more important than shape but could be wrong, I know when it's small dark round ones it's a bit of an alarm, I personally wouldn't be worried about those so I hope it's not an ararm bell.

Yes I've seen different shaped ones especially when they are moulting, I think consistency is more important than shape but could be wrong, I know when it's small dark round ones it's a bit of an alarm, I personally wouldn't be worried about those so I hope it's not an ararm bell.

Thanks Vikki :wave:

They are perfectly formed, and i've just crumbled one and its very much fibrous inside, i've just never seen one before and thought i'd ask the experts :)

I know normally what to watch for with Ginger, as she occasionally suffers from mild dysbiosis from a funky gut, but these are the opposite!

I get the odd one or two of them pop up in the litter tray every so often too - as already suggested, it seems to coincide with a moult so I've always put it down to that.

the longer bigger ones are a result of slow down in the system - nothing to worry about if just a few - if more than a few then a check of whether the caecum feels doughy is in order.

one of my buns does these :wave: .. not so much now though :)

you can see it in the middle of this poo line up :oops:
SAM_2798.jpg

It's been really warm today so not much moving around, maybe it has something to do with inactivity, maybe if they are lazing around they get shaped a bit different'. :wave:

the longer bigger ones are a result of slow down in the system - nothing to worry about if just a few - if more than a few then a check of whether the caecum feels doughy is in order.

I agree with this completely.
Thumper has motility disorder of his caecum with overgrowth of bacteria which produce neurotoxins.
A typical sequence for him is severe slow down verging on stasis with small poops terminating when he's passed a mixed caecal + wastes & the larger poops in the recover phase.
His poops are very dark here because of poor fiber separation in the 1st part of the colon.

DSCF5022.jpg

I'm NOT saying that Ginger has the same condition, just showing the effect of gut slow down from any cause on poops.
Moulting or heat stress can cause significant slow down in a bun with a sensitive tummy.
With Ginger I'd let her go for unlimited bramble leaves. The woody fiber helps to speed things up.

Thanks guys.

I've got to take her with Biccy to the vets in a bit, so will ensure i pack extra bramble leaves in his 'Lunch box' so Ginger can nom too :wave:

She is mid-moult part II so its quite possible its fur related and it was very warm here yesterday, they had ice packs but tended to sit on the opposite end of the room to them :roll:

Ginger's gut can be flakey at times anyway (random mind dysbiosis, random TINY poops), so it wasn't a real 'concern' as such - just a query :)

Thanks to all those who took the time to post, i really do appreciate the re-assurance :)

Back