• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help my buuny diagnosed with E. cuniculi

:cry:
my 10 yr old bunny is so sick. please pray for addison. hurts so bad to watch him go through this. anyone ever went through this with their bunny?

Mine had ec before I got him, but he survived it and just has a slight head tilt and eye problem. Vibes for your little one, at least it has been diagnosed so you can start treating him.

My dear old Maggie (now sadly departed - rip) had E.C very badly (see my old posts 'rolling bunny'). She made a miraculous and full recovery which astonished the vet and myself. Maggie was treated with baytril, panacur and an anti-inflammatory (I can't remember what it was called). This last injection really seemed to do the trick, maybe ask your vet about this. The vet and I made the decision for me to treat Maggie at home as the car journey to the vets was really stressing her out and making the E.C worse.

However, you should ensure you continue to worm your bun even after recovery, every 3 months. Maggie was a rescue and really suffered from the slightest bit of stress, which then seemed to precipitate another E.C attack. E.C returned twice after her first attack, never as bad as the first and never more than a head tilt, which would resolve after treatment with panacur, then Maggie would be back to normal and the tilt disappeared.

Sending you lots of get well vibes, try and comfort your bun by giving him lots of soothing massages, this also worked really well for Maggie xx

We are just waiting for test results on my bunny to see if she has EC or not. Shes been having seizures and going through phases of not eating.
Vibes for your bun xx

My little Lilly is in to her 2nd year after getting head tilt/EC. (she is 7 now)
The vet told us to put her to sleep as her head was she had a severe tilt and was thrashing/rolling.
I refused and walked out of the vets.
We treated her with the same medication as disco dolly's Maggie and also drops of metacam.
She has suffered brain damage but her head is on the correct way now.
She is more giddy now than before her head tilt and so comical.
We didn't think she was going to make it!!
It is so hard to watch your bunny when they are ill like this, but be strong in front of them, and cry buckets in another room.
big hugs

Hi there, i battled EC with Dora (she passed away this morning) many make a full recovery and she had gotten better her death was due to various things going on.

What symptoms does your 10year old have of EC? and what treatment have you been given?

we gave dora 28 days on double dosage panacur (as per vet instructions) as she had a very high tesla count. she was incontinant and having seizures daily and had lost a lot of weight she also had toruble hopping. in addition to this she recieved metacam daily to reduce brain swelling.

many vets also give antibiotics in case head tilt which many buns get is caused by a middle ear infection.

depending on the symptoms you will be able to help relieve them, some bunnies make a full recovery others (like dora) recover but have long lasting affects (siezures every two weeks and every few days incontinance) which are managed by their owner. is your bun rolling? its best to explain the symptoms and what treatment you have been given so we can help. 10yrs is a good age for a bunny, and EC does seem to strike older or weaker bunnies more. Dont let anyone tell you just because she is old she cant be helped as its more about the bun themselves than their age, i had an elderly bun recover from myxi and live another year and a half happily afterwards (till 11.5yrs), only you will know what is best for your own rabbit and its care. xxxx

Back