• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit keeps digging up litter box.. VERY frustrating. Help! :(

sarahxemma

New Kit
I have two bonded rabbits and my female keeps digging up the litter box, talk about irritating! Its getting really annoying to keep cleaning up all the mess everyday all over my carpet. Anyway, heard about litter boxes with a grated bottom.. Where could I buy one of these? Is there anywhere online? And does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you have some kind of grating you need to keep a good eye on their feet, it can irritate them. There may be some behavioural reason behind the digging, is she pooing ok? Eating ok? What do you use in the tray? Is she spayed?

She's pooing and eating fine and has been spayed. Ever since her hormones kicked in when she was younger she never lost the destructive hehaviour that goes with it. As I speak the litter box has been destroyed :|

What are you putting in?, mine trash it if news paper is put in the bottom. The best combo I have found is some megasorb with a bit of straw or hay on top, in a large washing up bowl with high sides!

She's pooing and eating fine and has been spayed. Ever since her hormones kicked in when she was younger she never lost the destructive hehaviour that goes with it. As I speak the litter box has been destroyed :|

Oh dear, some rabbits do tend to be diggers. I've found mine will dig if I use megazorb, so now I stick to newspaper and hay, in the past they have dug when I use newspaper :roll: getting a good quality hay helped too, nowadays they are too taken eating hay to dig. :thumb: I also use storage boxes which they can have a good rummage around the hay in without it spilling.

I was using wood pellet litter which when was absorbed she tended to dig but now has the habbit all the time. I'm going to just try newspaper and hay like you say and see if it improves. For the time being I've had to put the litter box in my dogs old plastic dog basket so I save it from going all over the place. As a last resort I may have to get a large outside hutch for at night and when I can't supervise her because its so stressful!

I was using wood pellet litter which when was absorbed she tended to dig but now has the habbit all the time. I'm going to just try newspaper and hay like you say and see if it improves. For the time being I've had to put the litter box in my dogs old plastic dog basket so I save it from going all over the place. As a last resort I may have to get a large outside hutch for at night and when I can't supervise her because its so stressful!

Do you mean toput them outside at night? If so I'm afraid it really isn't advisable to put them outside at night, their little bodies won't cope with the change in temperature from being indoors. :) I did it before I knew and Mischa got a bad ear infection and we almost lost him. :(

Another question is do they have access to a large area all the time or only part of the time, until I gave mine a whole room constantly I used to get a lot of naughty behaviour, it was their way of telling me they didn't like it.

And Gray, I was hoping you'd see this thread but wasn't expecting you here at this time of night ;):lol:

Did you find any miracle cures? Lol

Environment enrichment and lots of space have *helped*. He still digs at times. Changing locations of things, changing hays.

However, its possible we may have found a reason for his digging - sore teeth in his case :(

However, he's been a naughty boy today apparently and has emptied the tray across the lounge :lol:

His bond partner was eating it off the floor :roll:

Schuey :love:

Just got back from works night out :)

Do you mean toput them outside at night? If so I'm afraid it really isn't advisable to put them outside at night, their little bodies won't cope with the change in temperature from being indoors. :) I did it before I knew and Mischa got a bad ear infection and we almost lost him. :(

Another question is do they have access to a large area all the time or only part of the time, until I gave mine a whole room constantly I used to get a lot of naughty behaviour, it was their way of telling me they didn't like it.

And Gray, I was hoping you'd see this thread but wasn't expecting you here at this time of night ;):lol:

Oh wow really! Hmm I'm going to have to think of something lol.

They have the whole room when I'm at home which is a lot of the time as I work part time.. And when I'm not around they have a large playpen so they're not short of room lol. My males totally the opposite to her, very sweet and well behaved and no problems with the bloody litter tray!! Lol

Oh wow really! Hmm I'm going to have to think of something lol.

They have the whole room when I'm at home which is a lot of the time as I work part time.. And when I'm not around they have a large playpen so they're not short of room lol. My males totally the opposite to her, very sweet and well behaved and no problems with the bloody litter tray!! Lol

Mine were the same, they had a large enclosure for at night but then when they were out of it they did seem intent on destroying stuff as if to say 'we want to be out here all the time!' :roll::lol:

What litter tray and hay do you use out of interest?

Mine were the same, they had a large enclosure for at night but then when they were out of it they did seem intent on destroying stuff as if to say 'we want to be out here all the time!' :roll::lol:

What litter tray and hay do you use out of interest?

Exactly the same as mine. She bites the bars of the pen being noisy as well to get out and its like you don't realise how lucky you are to have a nice big pen when a lot of rabbits are unfortunately shoved in a small hutch outside on their own all their life!

I just have an old cat one.. In need of a new one really the sides are pretty low.. And I use pets at home dust free timothy hay

Environment enrichment and lots of space have *helped*. He still digs at times. Changing locations of things, changing hays.

However, its possible we may have found a reason for his digging - sore teeth in his case :(

However, he's been a naughty boy today apparently and has emptied the tray across the lounge :lol:

His bond partner was eating it off the floor :roll:

Schuey :love:

Just got back from works night out :)

Ill try and give them ago!

Aww no why did he have sore teeth?

Oh no lol, I guess you have to laugh about it sometimes, naughty boggers!

Ill try and give them ago!

Aww no why did he have sore teeth?

Oh no lol, I guess you have to laugh about it sometimes, naughty boggers!

We aren't sure, he's going in for an exploratory General Anaesthetic next week to see whats going on, but his poor little tongue is all red and inflamed.

There are even some videos on my thread about Biscuit. He only has a single competitor on RU - PrettyLupin's bun, Poppy :wave:

Maybe your bun is trying to get involved :lol:

We aren't sure, he's going in for an exploratory General Anaesthetic next week to see whats going on, but his poor little tongue is all red and inflamed.

There are even some videos on my thread about Biscuit. He only has a single competitor on RU - PrettyLupin's bun, Poppy :wave:

Maybe your bun is trying to get involved :lol:

Aww bless, well I hope everything goes ok!

Haha, maybe she is! Ill take a look at the videos when I go on the PC, on my mob atm

Back