• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded rabbits. Female paying little attention to male and will not groom him?

sarahxemma

New Kit
Hi everyone. I recently adopted a male rabbit called Willow from a rescue centre, they bonded my female Macey and him for 2 weeks as I was not experienced with this. Anyway, they are both home now but my female pays very little attention to him. She does snuggle with him sometimes but it seems to be him who makes all the first moves. He grooms her quite alot and puts his head under hers to be groomed but she just won't do it. Me and my partner have always joked she is very 'queen like' though and its just been her personality but will she ever stop being stubborn towards him? I feel sorry for him! lol

I can only speak to my experience bonding our princess to young male and to what I've read. We had bonded them by having them separated by a gate for several months due to us having to wait to spay/neuter our pair. Once the operations and healing were done we would put them together in a small space for an hour a day. By day 3 the chasing had stopped and the two of them would lay out but on opposite sides and would ignore each other. I spoke to a local volunteer at the rabbit rescue and she said this was a good sign and to go ahead and give them more room. We did that and they are now fully bonded. Our girl still hardly ever grooms him and he occasionally grooms her but it's rare. They both put down their heads for grooming and they are both too stubborn to oblige most times but this is 6 months later and they are still very bonded. It is possible that it will take more time for them to build up to a closer bond as do people. If there is no fighting and the occasional snuggling I would think this is a good sign and give it more time and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

I have always had one bunny who is the groomer and the other is the groomed. That is not to say that they didn't occasionally change rolls, especially if dominance changes paws during the bond

Back