• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding only

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
How long is it safe/fair to syringe feed alone?

I've never had to do it for more than a day or two before, but Joey has chosen not to eat anything voluntarily for 6 days.

He's having the equivelent of about 25 mushed Excel pellets, critical care and some pureed apple each day spread over three sessions (he only weighs 700g, which is 150g lower than his normal weight)
He's only passing the odd little gritty bits of poop, is weeing ok, and still comes out in the garden for a dig and a hop about. Physically when I pick him up he has strength in him i.e. he's not weak or limp.

Can I go on syringing indefinately???

I think he needs to be seen by a vet. There must be a reason he's not eating, and it's the cause that need to be addressed. Good luck!

Sorry I should have been clearer.

He saw the vet Thursday. His teeth are fine and there was no other symptoms apart from the fact he's very elderly. Vet reckons it could be his jaw muscles are worn out.

He's been on metacam, zantac, metaclop and engemycin since last Thurday.

He needs to be maintained on syringe feeding, but how long have people managed a rabbit on syringe feeding alone?

Oh, that makes more sense!

Is he active and happy in himself? Have you tried offering recovery or critical care just in a bowl, see if he can eat it himself?

Can you xray for blockages in the colonic system if bunny is struggling to do any poos' yet being fed? I would continue sringe feeding, but with there obviously being an underlying case of something- keep investigating with the vets.

Is bunny losing the will to fight or happy to go on? x

Anorexia/lethargy,rapid weightloss and depression initially

In more advanced cases a pot belly, neurological symptoms and jaundice.

Thanks Jane.

Well we have the anorexia and weight loss. Lethargy and depression are hard to spot in an elderly grumpy bun, but I don't think he's much less active than he was a few weeks ago - he did try humping BB's head yestersday:roll:

I have offered him food but he is totally uninterested, but will happily sit for half an hour to be syringe fed his pellets and critical care. I've just done another session and he had a bit more poop than last time, so the food is getting through.

In my heart I think I know its towards the end of his days, and I'm more concerned about keeping his quality of life with BB.
I'd be reluctant about putting him through lots of tests, when his age determines the fact that whatever the outcome, I can't make him any younger. But I can keep him comfortable and help him when needed.

Do you think it would be an idea to start him on something like milk thistle in case it is his liver?
Do you know what doseage and in what form it is given??

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

I've syringe fed Frankie in the past for over a week together with fibreplex. He had recurrent respiratory problems and lung scaring.

Personally I think anything is worth a try. I was trying allsorts of medicinal herbs for Frankie to help him and it kept him going for over a year together with his meds.

What about looking at Galens Gardens website as I am not sure about the amounts you would use.

Back