• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bedraggled Lionhead

Rabkat

Warren Scout
Not sure if this is in the correct forum, so apologies if it isn't.
Tina is my rescue lionhead that I've had for a couple of months. Apparently she had been abused so not surprising she's a tad nervous. She is getting to accept me, she nibbles my trainers when I'm in her run and she climbs up my legs when I sit with her, but there is no way she is relaxed enough for me to hold her, she went crazy the one time I tried, so the problem is I can't groom her. Although she will let me touch her fleetingly, she won't stay around long enough for me to brush her. My worry is that she'll become very matted. She looks like Tina Turner that's wny I named her Tina, but I am really worried about her fur. I've tried distracting her and using food as a bribe but she isn't having any of it. She's also very scared of Brian my other rescue that I was hoping could be bonded, is it possible that rabbits are perfectly happy on their own and that I should leave her as she is. She appears happy enough on her own. they have both been neutered and although they didn't fight, Tina couldn't get away quick enough. Any help/suggestions will be so appreciated, thanks. Sorry for the long post, could be longer though.;):D

*see my sig for fluffy bun*

I had similar problems with my rabbit! To be honest even now she won't sit still for long, but i've found the best way is to give them some food and whilst they're eating start brushing them.

This way they associate being brushed with something good (such as eating) and become a bit more accomodating. It can be a slow process but give it a month and you may see some drastic improvements.

You don't necessarily have to pick her up to groom her.
Take it slowly, try feeding her pellets from your hand, get her used to eating from your hand and (once she's ok doing this) just gently stroke her a couple of times while she's eating from your hands. Next time you hand feed her the pellets try a couple of gentle brush strokes :)

I did this with Buckley who was quite shy (i suspect he had been taken away from his mom too soon and what very frightened). Now he's more interested in the brush than me :roll:

Also, I put the brush in his enclosure prior to even attempting to touch him. It meant he could get used to it, so that when I did come to groom him it wasn't some alien object in his space :)

With the bonding, I would suggest getting it done by an experienced bonder, especially if one of your buns is very nervous :)

P.s. Are there any pics of your bunnies :D

LOL what a pair of cuties. I've tried sitting with her and holding her favourite parsley and then brushing her but as soon as the brush touches her she scarpers. I think it is time and patience though, she wouldn't come near me at the start but once she hears my voice she'll bound over. I just don't want to break that fragile bound that we're building up. Thanks for your help, I'll keep trying. :D

Hi Pebblesetc, I have been able to stroke her when she eats from my hand as long as it's close to her head, definately no where near her bum which is where the problems can be. I didn't think to put the brush in beside her, knowing this little ragamuffin she'll eat it, she loves throwing her toys around.
I have no idea if there is an experienced bonder near me, but will look around.
I'll try and get photos soon, tried to put up an avatar but see others are having problems too. Thanks for you suggestions.

LOL what a pair of cuties. I've tried sitting with her and holding her favourite parsley and then brushing her but as soon as the brush touches her she scarpers. I think it is time and patience though, she wouldn't come near me at the start but once she hears my voice she'll bound over. I just don't want to break that fragile bound that we're building up. Thanks for your help, I'll keep trying. :D

At the moment the brush is a strange object but it's something she will come around too with time. Have you tried brushing whilst she's eating pellets? Mine can't resist their ordinary pellets at all (it's like bunny crack!) so that's always a good time to brush her. All rabbits are different though, you just have to work out how you can get yours to sit still!

Well done for rescuing her though, it's great to see a new member who's got a rescue bun! (many of us here have rescue rabbits ourselves).

I haven't tried brushing her when she's eating pellets, will try that once I've left the brush lying around for a couple of days.:)
I've two rescue buns, both from different places, also one of my cats is a rescue, I always feel so sorry for these animals left or abandoned for whatever reason. Would have more but may have a divorce on my hands if I push my luck too far. :lol: (and we're not even married) :roll:

I haven't tried brushing her when she's eating pellets, will try that once I've left the brush lying around for a couple of days.:)
I've two rescue buns, both from different places, also one of my cats is a rescue, I always feel so sorry for these animals left or abandoned for whatever reason. Would have more but may have a divorce on my hands if I push my luck too far. :lol: (and we're not even married) :roll:

Are the rabbits bonded or seperate? Just out of curiosity.

Sounds like a good idea to leave the brush lying about so the bun gets used to the sight of it.

I often feel the same, my OH is fed up of me wanting more critters :lol:

Maybe it's a good thing that our OH keep us in check. :)
They're seperate, was hoping to bond them but so far Tina isn't happy when she's beside Brian, she runs a mile whenever he approaches her.:(

What's the brush made of? Only asking, as the one I use has a rubber handle... and bunny quite happily had a good nibble on it :roll:

Just nipped out to check, but it's ok they're made of hard plastic. :D The bristles are nylon though, so will need to make sure she doesn't get too carried away when she's playing with it, one half eaten brush won't do her diet any good. :?

Just nipped out to check, but it's ok they're made of hard plastic. :D The bristles are nylon though, so will need to make sure she doesn't get too carried away when she's playing with it, one half eaten brush won't do her diet any good. :?

Good :) Mine will eat anything made of rubber, which is why the remote control is missing buttons!

Sorry dont know about the brushing but as for the bonding are they house buns or are they kept outside? I just thought that maybe you could put their runs next to each other so that they could sniff and get to know each other without too much confrontation?

Hi Christyrose
Brain and Slick are side by side, they're outdoor rabbits, they have a wire mesh between them, when I take them out and put them in the portable run then Brain and Tina can be side by side. When Brian and Slick are in their proper hutches/run, they actually sit very close to one another, just the mesh seperating them, but when they're together properly, they get very confrontational. Did all that makes sense? ;)
I had to part them when they wouldn't let go of each other and they were circling, each holding on to the back of theother, I thought it may have ended in a full on fight they way they were acting.

With the bonding do you know anyone locally to you that could do it for you? I found it very stressful doing bonding :oops: so approached a local rescue who were able to help :)

I also bought this book about bonding rabbits from RWA shop: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=900

I don't know of anyone that will do the bonding, I'll ask at the rescue centre where I got Brian but I don't think they will. They re-home mostly cats & dogs, but no harm in asking. Wouldn't it be more stressful for the rabbits to be taken somewhere completely new to them?
When I took Slick & Brian into my workshop (neutral) Slick sat in the corner grinding his teeth and more or less panting, very rapid breathing, Brain spent all his time trying to hump him. I though my poor old man may have a heart attack.:roll: He doesn't do that in the outside run.
Thanks for the heads up on the book, think I'll order this. I looked at Sky-O blog and she has so much advice on bonding, so I'm going by that atm. :)

*see my sig for fluffy bun*

I had similar problems with my rabbit! To be honest even now she won't sit still for long, but i've found the best way is to give them some food and whilst they're eating start brushing them.

This way they associate being brushed with something good (such as eating) and become a bit more accomodating. It can be a slow process but give it a month and you may see some drastic improvements.

mattyp,

I had to post just to say your fluffy bun looks just like Bella, my rescue bun! Not sure how to add better pics to my sig but she's almost the spitting image of your bunny, beard and everything! Adorable!

Back