• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet fur under chin

I maybe being a bit over cautious, but pebbles is my special bun, as the day after i adopted him, he had a abdominal tumour removed. Now he has always drunk loads, and out of a smart sipper bowl, but today I noticed he appears to have a runny eye, the fur around it seems wet, and also a large patch under his chin and neck seems very wet and matted. It isn't something that I have seen before, and I do pick him up regularly. He also seems very bony along the spine and between the shoulder blades when I stroke him now. Yet he seems to eat fine - especially when i give him nuggets, he acts as though he is starving (not unusual for buns though :lol:) but I'm not sure how much hay he is eating ( they have half a bale in the run - so unlimited!).

Think I'll take him to vets to be certain. I'm wondering whether I should up the amount of pellets he has ( currently 2 x18g a day between him and poppy).

Could the wet area under his chin just be down to drinking from bowl, I don't think they can lick under their own chin can they???

Ta for reading this - any thoughts welcomed.

Everything you describe points STRONGLY to Dental problems *even if he is eating*

I would get him to your Vet *tomorrow*

Good luck

I'm having very similar things with Maud atm, I took her vets last night as it could be a tooth problem, I'd ask your vet to check his teeth :wave:

Thanks for your replies. to be honest, it was the first thing I suspected, as a rabbit I had 15 years ago had dental problems that turned into an abscess that then became a jaw infection, so I am very aware of the implications. I just hope it isn't but will get him to vet tomorrow. I know he was fine when he last went for his check up and vaccinations a month ago, but I think the vet only checks front teeth not rear teeth - which could be the problem.

Wet chin will be dribble which is a reaction to pain. I would get him an xray or scan, get his teeth check by a bunny savvy vet. just because he seems fine it doesnt mean he is as they are very good at handling pain. R

I'll definitely get him seen tomorrow. My vets are usually very good with rabbits, although the one who did the op on the tumour was a locum from another county (his wife owns carrot tops rabbit rescue so he knew lots about rabbits).

My Billy had the same problem recently, and he needed a dental. Good luck at the vets. Sending lots of vibes for Pebbles xx

update

I've just taken Pebbles to the vet, and he had a good look inside his mouth and said that his molars were growing long and that one was rubbing his cheek, causing the pain. He believes there is no problem at the root of the teeth and no abscesses thankfully. However, I have had to leave him there overnight as I cannot get him there at 9 when they open in the morning. I miss him so much already :(

The vet seemed to be knowledgeable about rabbits as he asked me about his diet, and I said he had half a bale of hay and only 20g of pellets a day and a few weeds. he said that hay should make up 80-90% of his diet, and I said he was on mainly hay.

So I'm not sure why he would start having problems with his teeth now.:?

I've just taken Pebbles to the vet, and he had a good look inside his mouth and said that his molars were growing long and that one was rubbing his cheek, causing the pain. He believes there is no problem at the root of the teeth and no abscesses thankfully. However, I have had to leave him there overnight as I cannot get him there at 9 when they open in the morning. I miss him so much already :(

The vet seemed to be knowledgeable about rabbits as he asked me about his diet, and I said he had half a bale of hay and only 20g of pellets a day and a few weeds. he said that hay should make up 80-90% of his diet, and I said he was on mainly hay.

So I'm not sure why he would start having problems with his teeth now.:?

Older Rabbits can develop Dental problems even if they have always had a good hay based diet and never ha Dental issues before. I have seen it many times. It tends to start (if it is going to) at the age of about 7 or 8.

I'm not sure of pebbles age due to the circumstances in which I acquired him (he was essentially abandoned when my friends neighbour went on "holiday" and my friend was left to go in each day to feed the pets - to find out owner had no intention of coming back!) but my friend thought he was only a year or two. I got the impression he was on a tesco basic meusli diet, but I put him onto pellets/hay when I got him. But that was 10 months ago, so I would have thought any dental issues would have shown themselves earlier if they were already present.

Well, at least he is going to be sorted tomorrow.

The shape of the jaw can change a little with age, meaning that the upper and lower molars can shift slightly out of alignment, even if they were previously perfect - this means that the surfaces don't wear away as they should and you end up with one side of a tooth growing up into a sharp "spur". Unfortunately some rabbits, and other small animals, are just prone to this as they get older.

As their teeth grow continually he may need further dentals. Sometimes you can increase the interval between these by dramatically cutting down pellets to encourage even more hay eating - although if he's already underweight you might want to wait till he's back up to a healthy weight before you do that.

Hope all went goes well for Pebbles tomorrow :)

Thanks everyone! I was surprised that although he felt bonier to me, he had actually put on weight since July when he had the tumour. He is 1.62 Kg, and vet said he was 1.4 Kg when he had op in July. But when he comes home, I will monitor his weight more often to get a feel for what he should be, and hopefully notice sooner if he has problems with his teeth.

Is there any quicker way of detecting when the teeth need redoing, before he gets to the point of dribbling? Is it just a case of vet having a look at his back teeth every 6 months when he has his vaccinations?

not sure sorry. front teeth you can see but dont know about back ones. maybe if you can hold him still and shine a torch in his mouth? thats what my Barney had done to him today :D

Now I'm just waiting for phone call from vet to let me know to pick him up - out of curiosity, what is the usual rate for having dental done? I've had an estimate for £130 and this seems quite a lot. Although I did pay £300 for tumour op followed by £80 for resultant hernia op (which was discounted) in July. But when a spay is only about £50, £130 seems quite a bit!

Oh well, the things we do for our bunnikins :roll::love:

i only pay about £15 for front teeth but full dental is about £40 for me because they have to use sedation. so that sounds a lot. but there might be other stuff you are getting done that i didnt have to have.

Back