• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Chasing after vet/stasis - advice please!

amyhhh

Alpha Buck
Any advice hugely appreciated :wave:! Hector had to spend the day at the vet today as he was going into stasis. Thankfully a combination of sub-cut fluids, pain relief and gut stimulant seem to have got him much better (though we still don't know the cause as his teeth are looking ok). Usually we would have taken Lluna too, but she gets really stressed by vet trips (and nearly went into stasis herself after the last time) so we - stupidly - decided to leave her behind.

At first when Hector got back they seemed fine together, and Hector was really happy to be home, running around, and eating hay :D. But then Lluna started chasing him loads, and not letting him out of the litter tray, and they were both getting quite agitated (which we really don't want esp for Hector as he is just coming out of stasis)... So we have separated them, Lluna is in the house/kennel part of their kennel and run set up and Hector in the sheltered run part (which he loves) with his favourite box to hide in. We've put a puppy pen panel across the separating door, so they can see each other but Lluna can't get to Hector.

Does this sound like the right thing to have done?

Hector has to go back to the vet tomorrow for a check - should I take Lluna too in the carrier or does it sound to late for that?

Do you think we will now have to go through a full rebonding process on neutral territory?

There wasn't any fighting, it was just Lluna chasing Hector, but pretty determinedly. Usually they are pretty loved up, and it was a fairly easy initial bond (at the rescue, not by us).

Sorry for the long post - any advice really massively appreciated! Its really sad seeing them apart, especially when Hec has been ill.

Thank you! :wave::wave:

I think she probably just didn't realise who he was because he will smell different.

When things like this happen I tend to take them on a car journey and that's always sorted it out (half an hour, normally). I'd suggest taking them together tomorrow; provided he is coming home after, and then trying them again then, but keeping them next to each other overnight. If he is likely to not come home tomorrow then it may get tougher but you can try taking her to collect him from the vets and see if that works.

Thanks Sky-O. We don't have a car but push them in a buggy thing to the vets which I guess must have the same effect. I'll take them both tomorrow and see how it goes. Hopefully he will come straight back as he's been doing well eating hay this evening.

Thanks again!

Amy

Just updating incase anyone is interested, or finds themselves in a similar situation...

We took Lluna with Hector in the carrier for his next vet check as Sky-O suggested, which was definitely a good idea - when first in the carrier she put he ears back and looked like she would try to start chasing (even in such a tiny space!) but as soon as it started moving she settled down and they were fine together.

When I got them both back from the vets they seemed pretty settled, but I was worried about putting them straight back ot into their house incase it kiked off again, and where I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on them. So, I set up a small puppy pen in the "office" (I was working from home), and kept them there with me all day and the following night, until my OH could do a proper clean out (with vinegar) of their house. For the first morning when I had them in the office with me, Lluna was still very on edge, an would look fierce (ears back) at Hector if he came too close, and he was odbviously pretty nervous of her. But by the evening she had obviously relaxed, worked out it was him, and we had some grooming. :D

They are now back in their house and seem to be fine and happy together :D.

All in all though lesson learnt - next time they definitely both go to the vets together!

Awww I'm glad they are OK now :D Exactly the same thing happened to me when Cheeky had her first dental. She was there 3 days and her bond with Tilly was broken :( Took me a long stressful week to get them back together. She's at the vets now having another dental funnily enough, but this time Tilly's gone with her. :wave:

Sorry missed this the first time round.

Sometimes my boy carlo doesn't always recognise my OH and does the same to him, usually after he has been out at his dads. Isn't it amazing how much smell plays a part?

I'm glad they are back to being loved up now

Back