• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi in a vaccinated bunny?

MichG

Mama Doe
I went out this morning to find Patch had a dark looking scab area under his nose this morning, which wasn't there yesterday. I am hoping he has just cut himself but of course fear myxi, he is vaccinated so I know if it is it is treatable.

I have tried looking at pics on the internet but most of them seem to be of really severe cases. The other pics I have seen have basically been of round scabs.

Does myxi always present itself as round scabs in a vaccinated bunny?

Sorry, I have no idea but hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply very soon xxx

On further reading it seems myxi presents as a lump (nodular myxi??) it is not swollen so I think he has just cut himself! Off to go give it a nice clean :)

On further reading it seems myxi presents as a lump (nodular myxi??) it is not swollen so I think he has just cut himself! Off to go give it a nice clean :)

Yes, I was just having a search and it seems that a lump is usually first.
Hope it's just a little cut that will clear very soon xxx

I may well be myxi. My boy and girl had nodular myxi in October but were both covered. I only noticed when he had a swollen area near his nose but he did get a smaller simple scab. She just got 1 large lesion that started as a scab and a tiny little scab near her nose. She never saw a vet but got the same treatment as her husbun.
The treatment is antibiotic cover in case of chest problems and anitinflammatories.
In the mean time keep a very close eye on him and keep him warm and fed. Maybe try him with some herbs or lots of grass to keep his little tum moving.
Is he a garden bun? Make sure he has extra hay to snuggle in and keep warm xxx

He is a garden bun and seems absolutely normal in every other way.
I work at a vets now (we don't open until friday apart from reception to book appts) so am going to call the vet in the other branch (my normal vet) and speak to him just to make sure.

Good plan!!!!
If in doubt cover with some batryl and metacam!!!
Good luck xxx

He is a garden bun and seems absolutely normal in every other way.
I work at a vets now (we don't open until friday apart from reception to book appts) so am going to call the vet in the other branch (my normal vet) and speak to him just to make sure.

i have had a myxi bun and the first sign we had was a small black dot on her nose and a slightly weepy eye. the first vet told us it wasnt myxi just conjunctivitus but i wasnt convinced the nose dot raised into a lump later on and she had lumps slowly appear all over her. i would cover yourself and get her on baytril and metacam which wont hurt if its a cut either as will stop inffection and abcess! :) x

Back