• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

KazFluffy

New Kit
I have a male and female rabbit, almost 11 weeks old. The girl, Poppy, is pretty much litter trained now. However, my boy Toffee is using his bed as a toilet. He does sit on the litter tray, and occasionally go loo on it, but it's mainly in his bed. Should I put a litter tray in his bed area where he is going? I'm concerned at limiting his space in this area too much.

Or should I not worry about it at his age and wait until he has been neutered as I have read that boys are harder to train, and it is easier once neutuered. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Fluffy

I have a male and female rabbit, almost 11 weeks old. The girl, Poppy, is pretty much litter trained now. However, my boy Toffee is using his bed as a toilet. He does sit on the litter tray, and occasionally go loo on it, but it's mainly in his bed. Should I put a litter tray in his bed area where he is going? I'm concerned at limiting his space in this area too much.

Or should I not worry about it at his age and wait until he has been neutered as I have read that boys are harder to train, and it is easier once neutuered. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Fluffy

Whats the bed made from? I know a lot of peoples buns (mine included) will pee on anything cushiony. I can't use cat beds or vet bed etc, mine just pee all over it! That might be part of the problem.

Also yes buns can prefer a spot and be determined to pee there no matter what your plans are! Try swapping the areas around so that there's a litterbox in both areas and see if that suits them better. Or just switch it to where the bed was. I find if the tray is big enough for them to get into it's not taking away room, as they'll happily sit in it and munch their hay, so don't be afraid to take up room with that :)

He should hopefully settle down after neutering too but that doesn't help right now :D If he's mostly got it now, he shouldn't be hard to switch to fully litter trained.

Hope that helps a little

litter training

Hi

Thanks for your reply. The bed is straw and some hay. It's the actual sleep area of the hutch. I've been cleaning with diluted white wine vinegar as I heard they don't like the smell but he's still using it. I'll put a litter tray there and see what happens I think. Might try putting a rug or material bed in the other part of the area and see what happens.
Thanks again
Karen

Back