• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All freerange bunny mummy and daddies

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Right I am moving my pair out of my spare room now, and giving them free roam and a base under the stairs.

What do you guys do to prevent chewing skirting boards?? My two tinkers have completely wrecked my spare room so I want to make sure I have bunny proofed the whole house

My friend has 4 free range house rabbits :shock: :) And her rabbits have a NIC base under the stairs when they removed the cupboard. I never really thought to ask her how she stops her rabbits from chewing the boards around the living room etc, until I wanted my rabbits in eventually and Don is a chewer, but she said that her and her dad found the places where they would really try and go at the boards, and got mesh, put it over the boards and painted it white. If you don't know it's there you wouldn't notice it. I think it's a bit of strange idea but I can't think of anything else lol :rabbit2:
I think you can get spray that stops chewing, like people get that stuff for their nails to stop them chewing. But I think it's quite expensive for a medium bottle. But it does work. My bf has the small version for his hamster on the cage, and she has stopped completely whereas before she was chewing the bars all the time :bunny:

My friend has 4 free range house rabbits :shock: :) And her rabbits have a NIC base under the stairs when they removed the cupboard. I never really thought to ask her how she stops her rabbits from chewing the boards around the living room etc, until I wanted my rabbits in eventually and Don is a chewer, but she said that her and her dad found the places where they would really try and go at the boards, and got mesh, put it over the boards and painted it white. If you don't know it's there you wouldn't notice it. I think it's a bit of strange idea but I can't think of anything else lol :rabbit2:
I think you can get spray that stops chewing, like people get that stuff for their nails to stop them chewing. But I think it's quite expensive for a medium bottle. But it does work. My bf has the small version for his hamster on the cage, and she has stopped completely whereas before she was chewing the bars all the time :bunny:

Hmmm I like the mesh idea, but am a bit wary about sprays, they are probably fine, and I am over worrying :lol:

I am having to get my floor done as well, as I have laminate and Carlo can't walk on it.

I need something that still looks nice though and is easy to clean... hmmm this could get expensive :lol:

I've read somewhere that going over them with nail varnish stops them from chewing it. Maybe worth a go? sounds like a pain though glad mine don't chew skirting boards!

Depends how large an area the skirting boards are in and how much you care about how it looks ;)

I've read somewhere that going over them with nail varnish stops them from chewing it. Maybe worth a go? sounds like a pain though glad mine don't chew skirting boards!

Nail varnish?? wouldn't that be toxic?

They only chew when they want attention, like when they are shut in their room.

So hopefully they will stop when they are allowed to go anywhere they like :?

Depends how large an area the skirting boards are in and how much you care about how it looks ;)

I'm not mega house proud or anything, (I wouldn't have house buns if I was:lol:)

I just worry about them eating the paint on there :cry:

Bobby chews the wall corners as well :roll:

It's quite a large area to be honest as they will be allowed in nearly every room :?

Luckily I have no chewing problems with my two. (and pollyfilla is wonderful :lol:). It's River's complete inability to use a litter tray that gets me. Generally she's fine with wees, but it constantly looks like I've dropped a packet of chocolate raisins in with them! :evil: Ed is perfect....River is about to be made into a pyjama case! :roll:

Luckily I have no chewing problems with my two. (and pollyfilla is wonderful :lol:). It's River's complete inability to use a litter tray that gets me. Generally she's fine with wees, but it constantly looks like I've dropped a packet of chocolate raisins in with them! :evil: Ed is perfect....River is about to be made into a pyjama case! :roll:

Do you remember when you rang me ages ago, and I was getting annoyed because Carlo just poops where he fancies, in his tray out of his tray whatever :roll:

Wees are always in the tray.

Well he still does it :evil::roll:

I thought it may calm down but not as yet.

I am going to try them downstairs and neutralise everything and start from scratch.

I am trying to get the spare room done for when you and Becky come you see :love:

Nail varnish?? wouldn't that be toxic?

They only chew when they want attention, like when they are shut in their room.

So hopefully they will stop when they are allowed to go anywhere they like :?

No I 'believe' that just the strong smell keeps them from going near it at all.

And Rubyted and Shellypops you guys are lucky! You just have easily hoovered poops to deal with, everyday i'm following my rabbits around with wipes to wipe up wee! Poops are everywhere. I woke up one morning and found one in my bumcrack once!

Do you remember when you rang me ages ago, and I was getting annoyed because Carlo just poops where he fancies, in his tray out of his tray whatever :roll:

Wees are always in the tray.

Well he still does it :evil::roll:

I thought it may calm down but not as yet.

I am going to try them downstairs and neutralise everything and start from scratch.

I am trying to get the spare room done for when you and Becky come you see :love:

I'm praying that post spay she'll pick it up. (going in the tray, that is...not pick up the poop....although that would be clever!:lol:)

After she's been spayed I'll confine her to a small space, and slowly increase it.

....I'm going completely nuts though!!

No I 'believe' that just the strong smell keeps them from going near it at all.

And Rubyted and Shellypops you guys are lucky! You just have easily hoovered poops to deal with, everyday i'm following my rabbits around with wipes to wipe up wee! Poops are everywhere. I woke up one morning and found one in my bumcrack once!

:shock: :mr green:

I step out of the bath onto one, and then have to clean my feet again! :evil:

I'm praying that post spay she'll pick it up. (going in the tray, that is...not pick up the poop....although that would be clever!:lol:)

After she's been spayed I'll confine her to a small space, and slowly increase it.

....I'm going completely nuts though!!

Carlo still acts like he is a full buck, Oh well good job he is good at grooms :love:

Oh and I have a blocked bath plug from hay, don't ask me how I don't get it

Ive got two oppersit buns, Lola wont chew anything and i let he go where ever she wants as i know i can trust here. Then i have Buster who chews absolutly everything regardless of what it is so he is confind to the kitchen when i cant watch him as he is too destructive. I want to try the chewing spray stuff too as i have heard lots of good stories! I tried using lemon and Buster spent about 2 days licking every surface clean, he loved the taste :roll: not what i had planned at all

Ive got two oppersit buns, Lola wont chew anything and i let he go where ever she wants as i know i can trust here. Then i have Buster who chews absolutly everything regardless of what it is so he is confind to the kitchen when i cant watch him as he is too destructive. I want to try the chewing spray stuff too as i have heard lots of good stories! I tried using lemon and Buster spent about 2 days licking every surface clean, he loved the taste :roll: not what i had planned at all

Hmm I might try this spray, I'm just a scardey cat :oops:

Strawberry had to go outside when we moved because there was nothing we could do to stop him being a destructo-bun! He was a complete nightmare and ate the skirting boards, the lino we covered the floor with, the carpet underneathe, the plaster off the walls and then started on the PVC windowsill.

Bungle on the other hand free ranges in our kitchen and has never even nibbled anything! He will however chew cables if they are available!

Strawberry had to go outside when we moved because there was nothing we could do to stop him being a destructo-bun! He was a complete nightmare and ate the skirting boards, the lino we covered the floor with, the carpet underneathe, the plaster off the walls and then started on the PVC windowsill.

Bungle on the other hand free ranges in our kitchen and has never even nibbled anything! He will however chew cables if they are available!

My two are as bad as each other :roll: Bobby has always been destructive, and Carlo watches and copies

unfortunatley I don't have outside as an option, as I live in a maisonette :cry:

I've heard of using metal skirting board protector strips on the frames of wooden runs, so I am guessing you could screw some metal or plastic strips onto the skirting boards- wish I'd heard of this before the puppy was teething :roll: :)

I've heard of using metal skirting board protector strips on the frames of wooden runs, so I am guessing you could screw some metal or plastic strips onto the skirting boards- wish I'd heard of this before the puppy was teething :roll: :)

THAT is a darn good idea :wave:

Back