• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lilly is not well :( U.D- another night at the vets:(

she was fine last night, but this morning when i went to give them their pellets for brekie she was sat in the corner and usually she runs over vali to go get them, she didn't go, she didn't eat any pellets not even when i offered her them infront of her mouth. the hasn't eaten any veg tonight, shes only had a little hay and shes been drinking..
she usually run away from me, as shes still shy. but shes been letting my hold her, cuddle her and even stroke her belly.
ive brought her and vali into my room for the night, because i want to keep an eye on her, her not eating just DOES NOT happen. she loves her food, shes not herself at all.
she seems okay, shes hopping around and flopping out now she just seems.. sad? not herself.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but if she isn't eating then it may be her teeth? She may go into stasis, so I would get her to a vet to be checked. I'm sure someone will be a long soon who is more knowledgeable.

I'm not sure, but if she isn't eating then it may be her teeth? She may go into stasis, so I would get her to a vet to be checked. I'm sure someone will be a long soon who is more knowledgeable.

ive checked her teeth and they seem fine, shes such a good eater and goes through tons of hay and only last night was eating?..

Do you have any medications (painkillers) or liquid feed in? Anywhere you can get herbs from to offer her?
If you don't have any pain killers or liquid feed I'ld contact your out of hours vet, sorry to stress you out. I tend to cuddle my buns as much as possible when they're poorly. Up on my chest, under my chin. I think the warmth and constant reassurance I'm there for them helps. It may mean I smell sick bun but they're worth it.
Good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

If she has not eaten all day she needs to be seen by a Vet TONIGHT. Here is why

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

im worried for her, ive just phoned the energency vet and she said to check her over ect is 95pounds not including if she needs treatment and everything. i have no money, and my mum would have to fork it out. i would never forgive myself if i didn't get her checked over and something happened, but it's money i don't have. :(

if she isn't eating she needs to see a vet asap. Could you borrow the money from your mum and pay it back? Or work out a payment option with the vet? It's awful I know I've been dreading all these bank holidays as bunnies always seem to get sick out of hours :( but she does really need to go tonight.

You poor thing!
Ask your mum how you're fixed for a loan? Sure there's lots of things you can do to pay her back. Poor bun xxxxx Poor you xxx

I agree - I'm sure your mum will help you out - you could arrange to try and pay her back half over time? It shows willing at least, even if she won't take it back.

Let us know how she get's on xx

my brothers girlfriend and him are coming over to take me to the emergency vets thats about 30mins away, i can't afford it and feel horrible asking my mum as i know i won't beable to pay her back for a few months but i wouldn't beable to forgive myself if something happened to lilly.

i hope nothings wrong, but im imagining the worst. god knows how much it's going to cost, why cant vet treatment be free!?
95pounds just for a conseltation, i know its late but still.
:(

ill keep updated when we get back.

You're doing the right thing in taking her, i know it feels horrible having to borrow money but sometimes these things just have to be done, and at least its for something genuine not clothes or something petty.

Good luck at the vets hope it goes okay

U.D!

On way back from vets now, it was difficult finding it. Basically the vet said she had a build up in the top part of her tummy, and no fical matter in the bottom half which is worrying, so nothing was passing. And because she lives with val we couldn't know wether she was passing droppings or not. So the vets keeping her and val overnight and is going to give her medicines and liquid feed to get everything moving, I caught it before it got to serious thank god. I'm going to go pick her up tomorow morning with my dad. That's 100 pounds ill be paying off for a long long time, I definitly can't afford to get snow spayed this month now. Thankyou for all the vibes, I hope she will be fine.xx

Hope she is feeling better when you go back tomorrow xx It is a lot of money :( but it's worth it knowing you have done the right thing! I'm forking out loads on my bun at the moment, I had to pay £80 for a 5 minute consultation appt a month ago, and that was during day time hours!

Back