• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any questions for first time at vets?

xSmeffy123x

Alpha Buck
Hiya everyone,
i am taking my two 11 week old babies Polly and Matilda to the vets for a first check up this week. Are there any particular questions i need to be asking? I am taking them for their VHD and Myx jabs spread over two weeks

any advice will be appreciated, thank you!

Are you planning on getting them neutered eventually? If so I would ask your vet at what age they would be willing to do this, cost, how confident they are etc

Maybe ask about their out of hours facilities so that you know what happens in an emergency

A very useful thread - I need to know this information as well so I'll keep my eye on this! Are you going to a regular vet or an exotic one? There isn't much choice in my area so I'm going to have to go to a regular one I think

I'd also ask about their policy with big unexpected bills - how soon you are expected to pay them etc.
It's always good to know what happens if treatment goes high. if it got into the thousands I would struggle with a vet that expected it that day there and then lol

(although if you have that sort of money or insurance, that isn't an issue :))

yeah i will be going to my local one who had looked after all my pets over the years but yeah this is the first time i personally have owned rabbits since i was really young so yeh keep an eye out! share the knowledge.
i will definately ask the vet to make sure of their sexes as pet centres are notorious for getting it wrong.
:)

I'd also ask about their policy with big unexpected bills - how soon you are expected to pay them etc.
It's always good to know what happens if treatment goes high. if it got into the thousands I would struggle with a vet that expected it that day there and then lol

(although if you have that sort of money or insurance, that isn't an issue :))

Yeh that is true, i did consider getting rabbit insurance because you never know, extortionate prices sometimes eh...
i have had other pets go previously and they have allowed to deffer payment before
Thanks though that is always worthwhile asking about

Hi :wave:

There are some questions on the link below designed to check your vet's knowledge of, and experience of, treating rabbits.

http://www.mybunny.org/info/vet_questionnaire.htm

Not suggesting that your vet is incompetent, it's jsut nice to check these things sometimes - there are some practices out there who are great with commoner pets but not so good with rabbits - they are classed as "exotic" pets and need very different treatment to cats and dogs.

Hi :wave:

There are some questions on the link below designed to check your vet's knowledge of, and experience of, treating rabbits.

http://www.mybunny.org/info/vet_questionnaire.htm

Not suggesting that your vet is incompetent, it's jsut nice to check these things sometimes - there are some practices out there who are great with commoner pets but not so good with rabbits - they are classed as "exotic" pets and need very different treatment to cats and dogs.

that is true i will ask them questions :) thanks

Back