• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Questions About Cataracts. U/D yes its cataracts :-(

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
What causes cataracts and how do you know if your bunny has them? How quickly do they progress to blindness?

I'm a bit worried as one of Starbuck's eyes looks ever so slightly bluey opaque. Its not that noticeable - you have to look very closely and compare it to his other eye - but I *think* its there. It wouldnt come out in a picture so I dont think I could show you - it would just look like the light is shining on his eye.

I'm quite good at worrying about my bunnies over nothing so hopefully its nothing but just would like to know a bit more about them. Is there any way it could be caused by tear duct flushes or eye drops?

Probably just me being paranoid :oops:

Last edited:
None of my buns have had that after a tear duct flush or eye drops but there is an eye dye that leaves residue for a short while - they put it in to check for ulceration.

Coco has age related cataracts and they look like a milky film on his eyes and he lives life as normal.:D
As far as I know they don't usually do anything with cataracts as bunnies cope well since their sight diminishes only slightly each year. (There is an op which I think someone with a deaf bunny was considering with FHB but its very expensive and not routine).

I guess if your bun has had eye drops then there must have been some problem with the eye so it would be reasonable to take them back to check what the opaqueness is. If they diagnose cataracts at least you will know and not have to worry.
sue:wave:

Coco has been a couple of years with diagnosed cataracts and they have changed very little.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to reply and give me your advice. I'm not sure if I am just being paranoid so I will mention it to the vet next time he goes.

Thank you :wave:

Molly had the start of cataracts when we got her at 10 months, she's 4 now and practically blind but lIves with 2 other buns( ones a rew, also blind) and they all live happily. They go out into a run on dry days (2 are long haired so don't get out in the wet) and have an inside run the rest of the time- to be honest even if things move around they don't seem to have any problems, I do wonder why they are the most laid back of the lot, I always think they should be the most flighty ones!

Worth a vet visit probably. I believe E.C. can cause some eye problems. If so a course of panacur could stop it getting worse.

Well it shows you should trust your instincts because Starbuck does have cataracts. :( I know this is from a month ago but when I looked again at his eyes I couldnt see anything wrong - OH couldnt either so we put it down to me being paranoid.

He's seen the vet today though and she has confirmed it is the start of cataracts. As its in both eyes she does not think it is EC related and hasnt given us EC treatment. She thinks it is more likely due to age, but as we dont know how old Starbuck is we can't know for sure.

He is a deaf bunny so I really hope this doesnt affect him too much. Vet thinks they are slight at the moment and says they can progress slowly so lets hope so.

Just goes to show that us bunny parents' instincts are often on the money.

:(

i'm sorry i missed this first time. poor starbuck:(

i hope its a very slow progression that he'll adapt to:)

hugs for you - you're having a rough time of late xxxx

:(

i'm sorry i missed this first time. poor starbuck:(

i hope its a very slow progression that he'll adapt to:)

hugs for you - you're having a rough time of late xxxx

Thank you. I hope so too :( poor little chap. He has such a hard time with his teeth and weepy eyes too. He has mites at the moment as well which was why I went to the vets with him today. :(

ETA: the other thing that has upset me about this is that we dont know how old Starbuck is because he was a stray. We've always thought of him as very young but now I am worried that he is actually an older bunny. I've always hoped we'll have 10 years + with him, now what if he is already 10? We just dont know. :(

Last edited:
Back