• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bun - head tilted back. U/D Been to vets

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
As title. She is sitting with her head tilted back towards her back and seems to be sniffing very strongly. She puts her head down whenever I come up to her then it slowly creeps back up again. She was doing it yesterday but I didn't notice it until today as it's become more obvious. She has been eating today but not snatching food as usual, she has been calming down with that recently so I assumed it was that.

She has also been sneezing over the last week or so but I put it down to the new bag of hay which can sometimes do that. I am just away to ring the vet and wake up the boy. Please can someone help.

Cross posted in Health due to time.

P.S. There is no discharge or drooling.

Last edited:
As title. She is sitting with her head tilted back towards her back and seems to be sniffing very strongly. She puts her head down whenever I come up to her then it slowly creeps back up again. She was doing it yesterday but I didn't notice it until today as it's become more obvious. She has been eating today but not snatching food as usual, she has been calming down with that recently so I assumed it was that.

She has also been sneezing over the last week or so but I put it down to the new bag of hay which can sometimes do that. I am just away to ring the vet and wake up the boy. Please can someone help.

Cross posted in Health due to time.

Hope you get through to the vets- i can see how urgent this is. Maybe either pasturella infection or EC- i think someone else needs to help you on this. Can you give anymore info. I'd get the emergency vet though on this one for sure. If she has been sneezing over the last week- it could be pasturella induced EC. Any infection can aggravate this condition according to my vets. Again i hope someone else comes along fast to help you out. A head rasing and falling can be an EC symptom- as you've described.

Last edited:
I know that rabbits when having trouble breathing raise their noses in the air, could she be doing that?

Sounds like she is struggling to breathe. She needs to see a vet NOW. Call the emergency vet and let them know you are on your way. Good Luck xx

Sounds like she is struggling to breathe. She needs to see a vet NOW. Call the emergency vet and let them know you are on your way. Good Luck xx

Adonia had this just before she died- she couldn't lift her head up- kept dropping it and putting it back up again. She would later appear "normal", only to die later on at the vets. The vets said EC, but they didn't test for it - my other half and i thought it was a mini stroke and perhaps her lungs collapsing from the pasturella respiratory infection. Any breathing problems are serious, i'd get bunny seen asap. Hope you get seen xxxxx

I hope bunny is on the way to the vets now. My first thought would be pneumonia, triggered by the respiratory infection. If I'm right she needs admitting urgently for antibiotics and oxygen therapy.
Ambience: sorry to hear about your bunny xx

I hope bunny is on the way to the vets now. My first thought would be pneumonia, triggered by the respiratory infection. If I'm right she needs admitting urgently for antibiotics and oxygen therapy.
Ambience: sorry to hear about your bunny xx

Thanks Lilbun. Yes i also thought pneumonia possibly for adonia too as it was winter and there was no heating and we had just moved-(lots of stresses at once, for a snuffle bun)- this thread reminds me of what i saw in her, which is why my concern.

I'd hate anyone to go through that. I also thought something was off the day before, but only picked up on it with hindsight. Feel really guilty about that. Nevermind...for another thread.

Hope Coineanach's bun is okay xxxxx

I just wanted to say that I hope you managed to get to a vet and that your bun is going to be ok xxx sending loads of vibes

Hello all, thank you very much for your support last night. We saw the vet and Oidhche has been diagnosed with GI stasis and possible secondary pneumonia. She is on Zantac, Metaclopramide, Metacam, Infacol, and has critical care and recovery paste. We're taking her back on Monday to see how she's getting on with the breathing, K is more concerned with the stasis just now as there is no discharge and she is still getting a decent amount of air into her lungs.

She has been eating fine so we don't know what's triggered this, he thinks she's not been eating as much hay so teeth will be checked on Monday, wanted to avoid too much stress today.

When we got in, the first thing she did was get out of the box, jump off the table, over my shoulder and hit the floor. The vet said it was the most spectacular rabbit jump he's seen :lol:

Thank you all for your vibes for my little girl, I will keep you updated. I need my bed! Zzzzzzzz.

Bonus pic, although you have probably all seen it before.
4-6-2010044.jpg

Oh what a gorgeous bunny!! :love::love: Glad she has been seen by the vet though sorry to hear she has stasis and pneumonia :( Sending lots and lots of vibes for her xx

Back