PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE ; WELL RECOMMENDED !!Does Anyone Steam Clean Their Hutches?

suzibunbun
14-04-2011, 08:46 PM
thinking of buying a steam cleaner to do my hutches - has anyone used one in this way and do you recommend it or not??

KB
14-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I use a steam mop on my bunny shed lino.
Really like it, the floor comes up very nicely & it dries quickly.

Dustyrabbit
14-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I have used a hand held steam cleaner on my hutches :wave:

suzibunbun
14-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Was it any good? I was thinking of a hand held one

I have used a hand held steam cleaner on my hutches :wave:

The Duchess
14-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi

I have a handheld one and use it on my hutches. I use it in between boarders in my big cabins in addition to Trigene, and use it occasionally in my own rabbits housing when it needs a deep clean.

I am very pleased with it and think it puts my mind at rest for bacteria being zapped as well as lifting dirt that I'd otherwise have to scrape or scrub at. It lifts dirt in moments, particularly off lino.

suzibunbun
14-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Sounds brill! What make and model have you got please?

Hi

I have a handheld one and use it on my hutches. I use it in between boarders in my big cabins in addition to Trigene, and use it occasionally in my own rabbits housing when it needs a deep clean.

I am very pleased with it and think it puts my mind at rest for bacteria being zapped as well as lifting dirt that I'd otherwise have to scrape or scrub at. It lifts dirt in moments, particularly off lino.

Dustyrabbit
14-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I got it when one of mine had been poorly and I wanted to make sure all the germs were killed dead! I got one from someone on freecycle, think it was just a cheapy, instructions were in chinese! it did the job I think and did put my mind at rest regarding the germs as the Duchess said. My one packed up but my MIL has a larger one she is very happy with (although she' in her 70's she's very modern and has tiled floors throughout), so I think if I was getting one I'd get a bigger one I could use around the house too.

There a quite a few product review sites that might be helpful.

In fact heres a thread I started ages ago asking for recommendations for a steam cleaner! http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=177868

The Duchess
14-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Sounds brill! What make and model have you got please?

I bought one from Aldi the last time they had them in. It cost 14.99 so not a posh one. It came with loads of attachments. Let's face it, all it is is a 'kettle' with a nozzle. A method of boiling water and squirting, so it doesn't need to be expensive. Lidl do them too sometimes, but I think you can get similar in Argos type places.

Sky-O
14-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Sky-O's stupid question for the evening is 'can someone please explain why steam cleaners are good to use in rabbit cages?'

I'm thinking I might want one, but just want to check that why I think its good is why it is good. :lol:

The Duchess
14-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Sky-O's stupid question for the evening is 'can someone please explain why steam cleaners are good to use in rabbit cages?'

I'm thinking I might want one, but just want to check that why I think its good is why it is good. :lol:

I like them because the temperature has to knock out some bacteria as it's over boiling point, but also because it lifts dirt that might otherwise remain 'ground in'.

Dustyrabbit
14-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Yes, I think because the heat kills many "nasties" which some disenfectants etc won't touch and there can be no nasty residues/odours.

bunnymadhouse
14-04-2011, 09:16 PM
yes ... we use one .. and yes we like it ;)

jpp
14-04-2011, 09:16 PM
I use our wallpaper stripper and just take the attachment off the end.

I first used it after losing a bunny to EC and wanting to be sure I'd got rid of every bit of bacteria that I possibly could.

The fine spray gets into all the crevices but hardly wets the hutch.

Smells sweet afterwards! :D

suzibunbun
14-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Forgot about the bacteria side of this product, I wanted something that will clean properly without me scrubbing and wearing myself to a frazzle, that doesn't need chemicals and won't be too wet - the first bit is indeed a massive plus

Dustyrabbit
14-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't think you'll be dissappointed with the cleaning side so long as you get one that is powerful enough.

Are your hutches lino lined?

suzibunbun
14-04-2011, 09:33 PM
There's one on bid tv, a 900watt handheld for 11.99 - does that sound reasonable?

suzibunbun
14-04-2011, 09:34 PM
One of the new ones is - I intend to do them all if I can get them really clean

I don't think you'll be dissappointed with the cleaning side so long as you get one that is powerful enough.

Are your hutches lino lined?

Sky-O
14-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Awesome thanks. How do they work?

The Duchess
14-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Awesome thanks. How do they work?

It's just a metal central container (just like a small kettle) normally cased in a plastic body to keep the outer cool, that heats up but has a thermostat. It heats to temperature (when it steams) and then shuts off until it needs to reheat. As it boils the steam comes out of the nozzle and chosen attachment directing it at whatever you want to clean. I only really use the tiny directional head so the steam comes out like a jet, but you can get bar nozzles - alsorts.

You can get diffuser nozzles too which are good for steaming fabrics.:D

Sky-O
14-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you :D Do they also work on carpets?

whitehood
14-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Sky go on google images ;)
I did :P

The Duchess
14-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Thank you :D Do they also work on carpets?

I've got a really big one too (like we used to use in the charity shop to steam the clothes) and that comes with a big old nozzle to do carpets and curtains. I'm sure the smaller ones would do the same but as the reservoir is so tiny, you'd have to keep refilling unless you were spot cleaning.

Sky-O
14-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I've got a really big one too (like we used to use in the charity shop to steam the clothes) and that comes with a big old nozzle to do carpets and curtains. I'm sure the smaller ones would do the same but as the reservoir is so tiny, you'd have to keep refilling unless you were spot cleaning.

Awesome, thanks :) We have a big carpet cleaner but it doesn't quite like bunny wee so it would be for spot cleaning, one spot in particular.

Thanks for answering the questions :)

The Duchess
14-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Awesome, thanks :) We have a big carpet cleaner but it doesn't quite like bunny wee so it would be for spot cleaning, one spot in particular.

Thanks for answering the questions :)

No worries. I think for the money (if you can get a cheapo one the next time Lidl or someone has them in) then deffo worth a punt. I am glad I did. It's got to be good for things like mesh too which you can't be sure is clean if you wipe it. Also puppy pens. So many uses. It gives me peace of mind for the buns which is the best bit.:D

Fluffers
14-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I think I might have to invest in one of these now :D

Ambience
14-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I have one- haven't used it yet though- someone recommended i should do the hutches with it.

suzibunbun
15-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Found out that my Mum has one that she hasn't used in ages so I have borrowed it and will do hutches tomorrow weathr permitting - watch this space!!!

Justine
15-04-2011, 09:50 PM
No worries. I think for the money (if you can get a cheapo one the next time Lidl or someone has them in) then deffo worth a punt. I am glad I did. It's got to be good for things like mesh too which you can't be sure is clean if you wipe it. Also puppy pens. So many uses. It gives me peace of mind for the buns which is the best bit.:D

I tried getting one from Lidl last time they had them in but they were all gone by the time my hubby got there. :(

suzibunbun
17-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Steam cleaned 4 hutches yesterday and VERY pleased with the result - well recommended!! The floors look as new now and they weren't good - so now I will be able to keep on top with not toooo much scrubbing and elbow grease! Found a steamer at the car boot today - made up as it was only 50p but hey! it doesn't seem to work (what a surprise!) not giving up on it yet though, will have a fiddle with it a MAKE it work if it kills me when I have time, 50p or not!!:wave:

The Duchess
17-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Steam cleaned 4 hutches yesterday and VERY pleased with the result - well recommended!! The floors look as new now and they weren't good - so now I will be able to keep on top with not toooo much scrubbing and elbow grease! Found a steamer at the car boot today - made up as it was only 50p but hey! it doesn't seem to work (what a surprise!) not giving up on it yet though, will have a fiddle with it a MAKE it work if it kills me when I have time, 50p or not!!:wave:

Excellent work!

No looking back now - once a steamer, always a steamer! LOL