• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please on how to set up the bonding area

Blackberry & Co

Wise Old Thumper
Right, the 'wedding' of Lady Jane & King Buttercup is imminent :shock:

They will be bonded in my room (Butters have been there before, but always with a plastic sheet and spare carpet over the bedroom carpet, and never touching the walls etc and not for 6 months or more) - I will clean everything anyway, and I have new plastic sheet and a new piece of carpet for on top, and the puppy panels will be cleaned thoroughly.

What is the best size for me to start them in? They are both approx 1.5kg.

Also, is it better to have one litter tray big enough for both of them rather than 2 smaller ones?

Do they need toys? They both like things to play with, and I have some new toys they can have in with them.

Any more advice welcomed - thank you :wave:

I'd suggest doing exactly what you just said there with flooring; a tarpaulin and then something over the top (such as fleecey blankets).

Janice tends to suggest a 4ft by 2ft space for a pair, and I tend to use a Nero cage for pair bonding, which works a treat and is roughly that size.

I would say no trays to start with because it can hinder bonding if one becomes possessive of the tray. You may be able to get away with a tray if its got very shallow sides and both can fit in it.

I would also say if you use toys, make sure they are new and neutral and smell of no other bunny.

I'd suggest doing exactly what you just said there with flooring; a tarpaulin and then something over the top (such as fleecey blankets).

Janice tends to suggest a 4ft by 2ft space for a pair, and I tend to use a Nero cage for pair bonding, which works a treat and is roughly that size.

I would say no trays to start with because it can hinder bonding if one becomes possessive of the tray. You may be able to get away with a tray if its got very shallow sides and both can fit in it.

I would also say if you use toys, make sure they are new and neutral and smell of no other bunny.

The toys are new, bought specially for this.

I'm annoyed now - I saw a 2 x 4 cage up the car boot sale yesterday - and didn't buy it :roll: Still, I can use the lower puppy panels with a sheet pegged over the top, and I can make the area as small or large as I like with those :)

I'm assuming they're ok to have a big pile of hay in there? Both bunnies are used to having a huge pile to jump in and kick around.

Yup definitely, loads of hay is good. I've used it as a distraction tool sometimes and put more fresh hay in if they get 'antsy'.

I've just neutralised the puppy panels and the tray from the bottom of the dog crate.

The are is 3' x 2', but they are both small rabbits, so I thought 2 x 4 might be a bit too big, but I have set it so that I can extend the panels to 2 x 4 if necessary.

The dog crate base is on top of a new waterproof sheet, and I'll put aubiose in it and a huge pile of hay.

I have got some new fleecey blankies, but I might wait with those until they can have a litter tray again.

If all goes well would I introduce the litter tray after a couple of days?

Pics of the basic base area:

BunniesandflowersApril12th2011041.jpg

BunniesandflowersApril12th2011040.jpg

ohhhh how exciting! I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to send loads of bonding vibes. I cant wait for the pictures...When are they going in, so to speak?

A six by 2 setup has worked great for me everytime or alternatively a 4x2 indoor cage- but the 6x2 space is best. Works fantastically.

ohhhh how exciting! I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to send loads of bonding vibes. I cant wait for the pictures...When are they going in, so to speak?

Sometime this week - I've got to get some essential out and about chores done, and then I can devote my time to them :)

Sometime this week - I've got to get some essential out and about chores done, and then I can devote my time to them :)

Fantastic. Good luck! I'll be on RU every night then, just to see if todays the day :D Hope you are gonna share LOADS of pics. We will all be looking out for them.

Hope it all goes well, agree about the space dont go too big as you want them to bond rather than watch each other from the far side of the pen. Looks like you are well prepared.

Have you got yourself a nice broom handy yet?

Hope it all goes well, agree about the space dont go too big as you want them to bond rather than watch each other from the far side of the pen. Looks like you are well prepared.

Have you got yourself a nice broom handy yet?

I will use the kitchen broom which has softer bristles (and a pretty handle :lol::oops:) - the outside ones are very firm and might hurt their eyes, and I have a towel ready in case I need to throw it over anyone, and a large supply of chocolate for my nerves!

Back