• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Piggies?

MichG

Mama Doe
Just wondered if bonding 2 pigs is similar to bonding rabbits?

My mum has a male rabbit and a female guinea who until yesterday were living together :)shock::no:) but her bunny got a little happy and started humping her :roll:

Sooo she now has a single boy bun and single girly pig... and I couldn't have that so she is taking a trip to PACT at the weekend to pick some friends for them!!

Her girl pig is entire but the boy she will have will be neutered, she is about 4 and if she takes the boy I am thinking about then he is 3 1/2.

I have always had guineas when I was younger but always bought a pair so never had to bond them...

In my experience bonding piggies is far less stressful than bunnies. I've bonded unrelated males without to much fuss. I just use the same principles, neuteral area etc and monitor them closely until I'm happy.

Bonding guinea pigs is done on a neutral area in a large open space, with nothing in it.
You add the two guinea pigs at the exact same time so none have a head start at calling the place his.
Let them sort it out, they're will be lots of dominince behaviour - rumble strutting, mounting, chasing etc.
Some may nip eachother but unless you see blood leave them at it.

You can slowly add in some hay and veggies and see how they react to sharing food.
And hidey houses or tunnels should have at least two doors. If it has only one don't give it. Wash hideyhouses and that with disinfectant, you can even put some in a dishwasher. You can make a hidey house with two/three doors using a box.

After a while, you can scrub out the girls cage with vinegar and water solution and arrange everything different in it. Don't place anything in it that one seen before unless throughly washed.

If bonding doesn't work then you can give them a buddy bath which is just bathing them at the same time, then putting them into a nice, clean, fresh cage.

The cage should be at least 2X4. The area you use for bonding should be bigger.

Well they seem to be getting on fine!! Mum ended up coming home with 2 males for her lonely little girl!! The boys hadn't been out on grass before as they had always been indoors piggies before going to pact so were more interested in the grass :lol: so they were put on the patio for a bit instead and now they are all so sweet together, there was no nipping, a bit of nudging but now just friends :D so cute!!
Shame I am so allergic, that's one pet I will never own again myself :(

Back