• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about my big bun

Vixen

Young Bun
Turvey didn't eat his dinner last night, v. unusual as he usually scarfs it.He has been v. subdued today which again isn't like him. He is currently lying in my arms when normally he would be racing around exploring the living room and seeking out evil cables to destroy.

I have checked his bum and it is clean and no evidence of diarrhoea in his hutch.

I will take him to the vets tomorrow to get checked over but can anyone give me a clue as to what might be up with my gorgeous boy :cry:

Has he eaten or pooped today? If not I would take him to the emergency vets to get checked over.

He might have stasis or his gut culd be slowing down? he could be in tummy pain? His teeth might be giving him pain? I don't know, I'm not a vet but these are the first things I think of when a bun is off their food and subdues.

Hope he's ok, let us know how he gets on

I just managed to get him to eat a little bit of dandelion (his fave). I can't take him tonight as I am home alone with my children and no family near by to come and babysit them. I will be taking him first thing in the morning though.

I have just clipped his nails and he perked up a little bit and he has had a little drink too so hopefully he will be ok until then. My poor poor boy :(

Sadly tomorrow may be too late :cry:

Is there not a neighbour or friend who could sit with your children ?

He is probably in pain so at the very least needs analgesic cover.

If you have any, try and give some infacol. It isn't a substitute for the vet but can be helpful especially in buns suffering from stasis. It may tide him over until you can get to the vet in the morning.

Back to eating (putting away hay like no mans business) and looking a lot happier (won't be picked up which is a good sign from him). Also found evidence of gut activity which is a big relief. I will still take him to the vets but am less worried about him now as he is back to his normal self behaviour wise!

I did a bit more research last night and put a vibrator ( :oops: ) on his tum & guts for a bit to try and get things moving through so I think that must have helped him a bit. Alas girls are out of infacol stage so I had none in.

I always keep a bottle in just in case one of the buns has a little bout. It has worked wonders in the past.

Back