• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

which manuka honey for abscess?

shannon321

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I posted recently on someone else's abscess thread as there are quite a few going round and didn't want to start another but no ones replied.

SO i'm just wondering which manuka honey i should buy? i know i need the 25 + umf but i can only find this in large quantites and its £45 :shock: :shock:

I don't mind spending this but i'm wondering if anyone has found it a bit cheaper?

Also i've currently been squuezing pus out each day, flushing with salt water then packing with an anti-biotic mized with intrasite gel.

The area has looked less swollen each day and has releasede less pus everytime i've done it, i'm presuming these are all good signs?

Today when i packed it with the intrasite most of it oozed out which is hasn't done before, is this because the holes getting smaller?

I want to go down the route of packing it with manuka honey and maybe giving anti-bis orally, which anti-bi do you think i should ask for from my vet as on the other threads i have read there are quite a few different suggestions.

Any help gratefully recieved, many thanks.

What abx are you using with the intrasite gel ? Using abx directly into the abscess along with systemic abx affords the best chance of success IME.

Injectable Depocillin has been successful in abscesses I have treated BUT the choice of abx is best made after a swab has been taken from the abscess wall to identify the bacteria involved and what abx said bacteria are sensitive to. However, if abx are already in use taking a swab will be pointless as the results will be unreliable.

Where is the abscess ?

http://www.manukahoneydirect.co.uk/...ney25&osCsid=135e9d70e0f485b86dbd599326de86a0

hiya,

thank you for your replies!

the anti-bi i'm using is antirobe though i think thats just the brand name and that actualy drug in it begins with C.

The abcess is on her jaw :( the vet isn't sure whether its attached to the bone or if its from a cut/bite on the outside.

We are trying to clear it up this way but if not they xrays will be done to determine if its to do with a tooth or not, though she has pretty good teeth.

wish i'd known about the swaps as i would of got them to take one before we started treating it :(

Which systemic anti-biotics would you recommend? I don't mind injectable ones as i have been allowed to inject at home before but i would prefer oral ones!

Back