• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial rabbit!

minirextyler

Young Bun
Hey, my bunny tyler is being very territorial latley, especially when his little house is in his cage, i've had to take it out now, how can i stop him from being like this? is being neutering the only option? thanks

album.php

Well neutering would certainly help a great deal. And it is spring now so his hormones will be going a little bit mad too.
He still needs somewhere to hide in or feel comfortable in so if he hasn't got anything like that I would put it back.

When you say territorial, what does he do? Does he lunge, grunt, bite?
Have you changed his diet in anyway?

Well neutering would certainly help a great deal. And it is spring now so his hormones will be going a little bit mad too.
He still needs somewhere to hide in or feel comfortable in so if he hasn't got anything like that I would put it back.

When you say territorial, what does he do? Does he lunge, grunt, bite?
Have you changed his diet in anyway?

yes i will put his house back in, and he just lunges at you iff i go to get his food bowl, or touch his toys, i havnt changed his diet at all, i suppose i will have to get him neutered sooner, as i've been thinking of doing it for a while now, thanks

What you are experiencing is cage aggression, dont touch his stuff when he is nearby, and dont put your hands in his cage if he is in it. He is telling you that this is his stuff, and not to touch it.

The cure for this is neutering, yes, as the behaviour is caused mainly by hormones. You'll want to get him neutered fairly soon so the behaviour doesnt become a learned behaviour instead of a hormonal one. If you leave it too long then it might not stop after neutering, I doubt a couple of months will do any harm though.

My bunny was neutered at 2 and only a small amount of cage/food aggression remains.

Back