• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what are you actullay suppose to feed them?

because i have looked at different things and the all say different things:(

whether to feed them veggies?
what hay? how much?
dry food?

Hay is the most important thing. Lots and lots of hay (or grass). This should be 80% of a rabbits diet. They need constant access to it and need to eat it constantly to keep their teeth and insides healthy. They need a bit of fresh veg. Leafy greens like spring greens and cabbage are great as well as herbs. And lots of wild food like dandelions, plantain and blackberry leaves are really good too. Then they should have a rabbit food as well to give them any vitamins and nutrients they are missing. Pellets are best because it's all the same stuff they can't pick and choose what to eat and you know they're getting everything they need.

And as a treat they can have things like carrot and fruit like apples and blackberries, bus as they're high in sugar, not too much.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Remember to introduce any new foods slowly, so you don't upset their tummies, and stop feeding it if you get any soft poos :wave:

Help

my rabbit loves his vegetables and pellets but refuses point blank to eat hay. CAn you give me any suggestions. Ive tried every hay brand i can find. i also rub apples, bananas etc over all the hay to tempt him. But he refuses.
Please help x

my rabbit loves his vegetables and pellets but refuses point blank to eat hay. CAn you give me any suggestions. Ive tried every hay brand i can find. i also rub apples, bananas etc over all the hay to tempt him. But he refuses.
Please help x

reduce the amount of other food you are giving him, most bunnies wont eat much if they have too many pellets or veg, its like saying to a child 'do you want to eat your vegetables or this big plate of sweets?' Take the sweets away and they'll eat the veggies out of hunger, and may even come to like them.

You should feed only around an egg cup full of pellets a day, remember to reduce it slowly.

The other reason could be teeth issues.

because i have looked at different things and the all say different things:(

whether to feed them veggies?
what hay? how much?
dry food?

it depends on the age of your rabbits.

younger rabbits need more pellets than younger rabbits. i learned the hard way. dont underfeed pellets to younger rabbits. but dont over feed either.
i would say atleast 2 egg cups a day for young rabbits. preferably not all at once.

unlimited hay

introduce veg slowely
i give my rabbits veg once or twice a week

it depends on the age of your rabbits.

younger rabbits need more pellets than younger rabbits. i learned the hard way. dont underfeed pellets to younger rabbits. but dont over feed either.
i would say atleast 2 egg cups a day for young rabbits. preferably not all at once.

unlimited hay

introduce veg slowely
i give my rabbits veg once or twice a week

No, I think 2 eggcups is too much.

I have 6 month old male and he only gets a tablespoon of pellets each morning on recommendation of the vets (he was getting a bit overweight), and a handful of veg at night to encourage him to eat lots of hay.

If you are struggling to find hays your rabbits like, you can try websites like hay experts and hay for pets, order some different samples to find one they like. The Ings hay from hay for pets seems to go down quite well with rabbits on here!

Back