• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

many many curse words...

catxx

Mama Doe
Following on from this drama:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278487

Just come home to find Bob in pain again, uninterested in food and lying down. Missed managing to get through to my vet by 20 minutes, so now have to wait until 7 to call the uuber expensive out of hours vet to get him another shot of metacam.

I will start the panacur on Saturday, they had ivomectin last Friday, am worried about piling medication in their little bodies!

No quick cures other than metacam is there? Will be about £90-£95 for one weeny shot of metacam at the emergency vet. SIGH!! OH is worrying at me about money (it was his last day at work today, not found another job yet)

This waiting until 7pm thing is killing me. Bob is such a wuss :( Pat is happily stuffing her face. He was too this morning. GRR

I hope they are pain and worm free soon! Good luck! Maybe ask the emergency vet for a bottle of metacam so you dont have to go through this again once the injection wears off?

Back from the emergency vets! Rather a curious turn of events.

On examination discovered he's got something stuck between his teeth, between the molar and the gum, and it's bleeding a little. Looks like a bit of hay. Vet was concerned it might turn/have turned into an abscess and its THIS which is the bigger issue!

Going to call my vets first thing tomorrow to get them in. She's given me a tube of Panacur but I'm a little worried about dosing it - one dose is for a 2.5kg and both buns are about 2kg! Might hang on and dose tomorrow in daylight!

Got them both back. Bob seemed brighter (and SOMEONE has had a wee in the carrier :evil:) and even ate a sprig of mint and started to tuck into some pellets!

He's had metacam, metroclopromide and some baytril for his toofie.

Hope he has a comfortable night. Good luck tomorrow. bet nobun's owing up to the wee in the carrier. ;)

Now waiting until 8.30 to call their vet. They both ate brekkie, nommed hay, then Bob sat at the back of the run glaring at me. Still think he looks a little uncomfortable, but he's still eating and pooping and had a chew of a stick he found in the hay.

My poor babies! Am taking them to their own vet now. They're going to give Bob anaesthetic to have a proper look at his teeth. Taking Pat along for moral support.

I don't like leaving them at the vets. :( (partly because it's going to cost the freakin earth, but that's why I have a big overdraft and these creatures insured)

they're now at the vets and my phone is not leaving my side! have taken the morning off work for now to see if I hear back. not sure what time they'll have time to look at him.

my poor little (expensive) fluffy monsters :cry:

would I be a pain in the butt if I called the vet to see how they're doing even if the vets really busy?

Well they're back home. REALLY not impressed with me. Bob still seems very uncomfortable but he will have been poked and prodded to bits today. Will see how he feels in the morning, think he just needs leaving alone! He's still pooping.

Start giving them both panacur tomorrow. And Bob has some domperidone for the next 5 days, that'll be fun to give him! He really really hates me at the moment!

Just went to check on them and they were both filling their faces with hay and bounded over for their late night carroty ♥ must be feeling better!

Well things seem to be moving in the right direction, even if all the trouble and expense is not making you popular. :roll: Did you get thumped at?

A few thumps, many glares and bottoms facing me haha.

Oh dear, you know you are out of favour when you get to talk to the furry bottom. I see a lot of Spenser's. :roll: He hates being handled, seems to see it as a great insult to his bunny dignity. Hope you find them both well in themselves and a bit better disposedtowards you tomorrow.

A few thumps, many glares and bottoms facing me haha.

Oh dear, you know you are out of favour when you get to talk to the furry bottom. I see a lot of Spenser's. :roll: He hates being handled, seems to see it as a great insult to his bunny dignity. Hope you find them both well in themselves and a bit better disposedtowards you tomorrow.

If anyone has any tips on how to syringe 2ml of medication into the mouth of a rabbit twice a day which hates being picked up and thoroughly hates me right now for numerous vet visits and generally poking and prodding, please let me know. I did what they do to Okapis, smooshed it onto his once-was-a-fat-boy dewlap and left him to lick it off because he hates being untidy.

Back