• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My poor Annalise has had her op U/D had a op by FHB,been there 3 nights now,

laurafoz

Warren Scout
My poor doe Annalise, has a bulging eye and her third eyelid is swollen, Taken her to the vet and he says it is a retinal bulbulous something or other and may be a infection or a growth. He also mentioned that it is hard to operate on if it come to that. He has prescribed Metacam, Bio-lapis, Fusimide eye drops and Baytril. I am having to syringe feed the bio-lapis and baytril mixed with 5oml of water which she seems to like. As long as we do it as a game with fenugreek crunchies as a reward. When it approaches the 24 hour mark since her last metacam she gets very moody and grunts and is very aggressive to her sister. They are both French lops and 9 months old. Always been fab health until now, bless!!

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about your bun. I'm afraid I cant offer any advice, but I will send lots of vibes for her.

My first bunny Miffy had something like this. They removed his eye and most of the growth behind it and he was fine! Hopefully treatment will work for your girl and it won't come to that though. Sending lots of vibes for Annalise xx

I think that's what my Bridge Bun, Daisy, had.

She had her eye removed, and although it looked horrendous to start with as she was a white bun, she was fine and managed perfectly well with only one eye. She lived a lot longer and died of something unrelated.

Aw thanks all of you! She is a devine Bunny too, soo beautiful, she is my Blue french lop and i adore her! She is quite happy at the moment if i use my dining table like a vets table and i sit syringe feeding her the biolapis, it smells of pear! It takes forever though as i am using the 1ml syringe and i have 50ml's to feed in a day. its time consuming but worth it when it might just save her life!!
Thanks for all your vibes, will see what the vet says tommorrow as she has a trip to vets booked in at 4.30pm after ma work xxx

they say i should only be allowig her the 50ml of biolapis/baytril mixed and no other water, and asked me to separate the two bunnies. they also are removing her eye with the looks of it as not getting any better:cry::cry::cry:

I don't understand why you should limit the amount of water Annalise drinks or why you should separate her from her companion. Were the reasons explained to you?

They asked you to put the Baytril in her drinking water? I might be wrong, but I don't think a rabbit savvy vet would recommmend that. :? How experienced with rabbits is your vet?

He is a highly experienced vet to be honest, baytril has to be mixed with water 50ml, biolapis also, they are only separated by a mess divide during the nightime . I know you mean well but the vet wants her to only drink the baytril biolapis mix so it dont dilute even more

And i used to work at that vets so i know how experienced he is, the nurse there is also savvy with buns and she agreed that they need to be separated while around drinking water, It is only to give the baytril chance to work so we can try and avoid eye removal

we are being referred to Frances Harcourt-Jones tommorrow is her appointment so we will see what happens xx

I've only just seen this thread, but would like to say good luck...and you're in safe hands with FHB :)

One of my buns had her eye removed in October due to an abscess behind it. She has just come off antibiotics and is doing great

Im nervous for today! hope they say she has a chance without eye removal. All she has had so far is baytril in her water, not sure if there is anything else that wouls suit. I had a lovely message from Loraine and thats what motivated me to ask for referral thanks s much Loraine

Im nervous for today! hope they say she has a chance without eye removal. All she has had so far is baytril in her water, not sure if there is anything else that wouls suit. I had a lovely message from Loraine and thats what motivated me to ask for referral thanks s much Loraine

sorry Lorraine is correct spelling- RU name Raine xxxx:D:D:D

Back