• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eww wormy poo again (warning: gross piccies)

catxx

Mama Doe
Following on from this:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277904

Out of about 50 poos tonight 4 were wormy :( I let them out for half an hour on the lawn last night, after been fine Saturday/Sunday, this morning was fine and these this evening. I don't know who is responsible.

Pics:
P1000208.jpg

P1000209.jpg

P1000210.jpg

Are those pinworms or something else? The buns seem fine in themselves, not like Bob and Friday night. They're still eating and bounding around.

They have a second injection of ivomec on the 5th April.

Definitely not pinworms, they look like tapeworms to me. Tapeworms are really long and made up of lots of little segments like that. The segments drop off and get passed in faeces in order to infect other animals.
Hopefully they will pass the rest of the worm soon :)

That would make more sense if they'd picked it up from around the lawn, a lot of squirrels around here. Will the general anti-parasite Ivomectin kill off tapeworms too?

That would make more sense if they'd picked it up from around the lawn, a lot of squirrels around here. Will the general anti-parasite Ivomectin kill off tapeworms too?

I'm not sure whether ivermectin works against tapeworms to be honest. A quick google suggests not but you should check with your vet.
Tapeworms don't cause too much damage in this form if they're sorted quickly. Humans used to eat tapeworm eggs as a way to eat what they wanted and not gain weight :lol:

I saw gross pics in the title and had to open :oops: As Loosy said, it looks like tapeworms (our cats had the same thing years ago...)

I'm not sure whether ivermectin works against tapeworms to be honest. A quick google suggests not but you should check with your vet.
Tapeworms don't cause too much damage in this form if they're sorted quickly. Humans used to eat tapeworm eggs as a way to eat what they wanted and not gain weight :lol:

I'll call the vet tomorrow and have a chat! I wasn't too paniced as it was only the 4 poos out of many other healthy ones.

Panacur (fenbendazole) is the most commonly used wormer for rabbits. I have a feeling that it only kills some types of tapeworm though, so double check with your vet :wave:

Just given the vet a call and the receptionist is going to have a chat with the nurse and call me back. Had a little look around, it seems a version of Drontal is best for treating tapeworms according to the interwebs! I guess it depends what type of tapeworm it is!

Ugh!!!! First time worm see-er!!! (In bunnies).
Seen them in cats.....they hang out of the bum or come up in vomit.
Oh.I feel poorly....:mrgreen: but good experience.

doc gets pin worms, and those thing are not pin worms youve got they are hugeeeeeee

perhaps ( maybe daft as all buns are lil piggies ) see if you have a bun thats looking a lil thinner than norm and yet still eating like a pig

deffinatly a vet job for meds if its again

seems you have a slightly weaker bun that MAY need reg worming just a though though, only because i reg worm my bun and hes suffers with health probs and is often fighing battles with his weight even though he eats like a piggie

orrrrrrrrrrrrrr is it possiable that the buns are eating worm from the ground as this time of year as weather warms the ground luave etc start to come up

orrrrrrrrrrrrrr is it possiable that the buns are eating worm from the ground as this time of year as weather warms the ground luave etc start to come up

I think they are tapeworms. As their outer shells are visible and are coming out the other end whole I think they must be resistant to digestive juices - so a worm that i supposed to live in the gut (or you wouldnt be able to see them like this - having said that its a good job you have done as you know they are there). If I were you I would get an urgent vet appointment and get treatment yesterday.

Ewww... I feel pukey!! Really useful to see piccies though!!

Hope you get it sorted soon. :)

Am taking poop samples to the vet either this evening if I'm home in time or tomorrow morning for them to analyse. Weight wise both buns seem fine and haven't changed in weight since their VHD vacs in Feb (Bob is 2.1kg, Pat is 1.96kg).

:shock::shock::shock::shock: *SHUDDERS*

EEEEEEEW, yuk I feel like theyre on me, gross gross gross!!

Sorry not very helpful I know :oops:

Really hope your lovely buns are parasite free soon :wave:

Right, Pea and Pod passed something looking EXACTLY the same as that but this was about 2 years ago. It was at least 3 inches long, the same colour and made up of segments. I paniced and took it to my vet, who in turn sent it off to the lab. It came back as 'vegetable matter' not worms. Rabbits cannot get tapeworms in the same way that cats and dogs can. They can be the host animal for a tapeworm cyst but they have to be eaten by a meat-eating animal for the cyst to become a proper tape worm. So I'm pretty sure it's not a tapeworm you're looking at. I'd be very interested to know what your vet and their lab think of it.

Rabbits cannot get tapeworms in the same way that cats and dogs can. They can be the host animal for a tapeworm cyst but they have to be eaten by a meat-eating animal for the cyst to become a proper tape worm. So I'm pretty sure it's not a tapeworm you're looking at. I'd be very interested to know what your vet and their lab think of it.

I read about the buns being hosts also - but I would presume if they can act as hosts it will go in one end and straight back out the other? Did they expand on what the "vegetable matter" was exactly?

Back