• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed female lacking apetite

lauraj27

Warren Scout
I got one of my rabbits Honey spayed yesterday; she took no interest in her food by late evening yesterday evening so we took her to the out of hours vet who gave her fluids, a gut motility agent and a crictical care feed. We have been syringe feeding her critical care every 4 hours or so and she went back to the vet today who gave her another motility agent. (we have been giving drops of painkiller every 24hrs). She pooed earlier today and it all seemed normal, however, in the last hour or so she has produced some glopey/toothpaste like droppings. I'm putting this down to the fact she hasn't eaten solid food or hay and that the critical care food is quite liquidy in itself but I would be grateful if someone could confirm my suspicions.

Hi, I had the same problem with my bun after having her spayed and not eating, I used a syringe and bought some probiotic natural yoghurt and fed her that, at first she was not responding but I kept feeding her and she was quite happy to take it and enjoyed it. hope that helps. Yolanda.

Hi

Our bunny Ruby was spayed yesterday and we are also syringe feeding!! we've syringe fed Charlie in the past when he stopped eating so we we have a stash of different sized syringes!!! It sounds like you are doing the right thing. keep her warm, keep her well fed and finger crossed.

We found Charlie would only eat organic rocket (he didn't like Tesco's cheap rocket!!!) then he only wanted curly kale... then hefinally accepted carrots and greens and finally reluctantly he started eating pelleted food again ....:lol::lol::lol:

She seems to doing well, ate her pellets yesterday and passing normally. She's back outside now. She seems to be back to her normal self which is good.

Back