• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Drinking!

Shinysun

Young Bun
My new bunny owner water-related questions!

1: do your rabbits gurgle when they drink? mine do. Proper gurgles in their tummies!

2: do your rabbits drink their own pee? Honey is litter trained and doesn't do this, but Holly loves to pee on the newspaper then laps it up again, even though there is fresh water available both in a bowl and a bottle, and she does drink from the bowl too. Seems odd to me, and it makes her gurgle as well as when she drinks water.

Susan

Mine do make that funny gurgly sound, always makes me laugh, totally normal.

As for drinking their wee I have never seen mine do that, although I have seen Patch eat the soggy newspaper where he had wee'd when he was at the vets a couple of times...

My new bunny owner water-related questions!

1: do your rabbits gurgle when they drink? mine do. Proper gurgles in their tummies!

2: do your rabbits drink their own pee? Honey is litter trained and doesn't do this, but Holly loves to pee on the newspaper then laps it up again, even though there is fresh water available both in a bowl and a bottle, and she does drink from the bowl too. Seems odd to me, and it makes her gurgle as well as when she drinks water.

Susan

I *think* bunnies who drink their own urine do it for a reason. I think its normally related to a deficiency or needing to warm up as urine is warm. Where are your bunnies, are they outside? If so, do they have plenty of hay/bedding etc?

One down...

OK go gurgles are fine. Now to investigate pee drinking!

They are indoors currently, in a room not below about 15 degrees currently. (turned heating down in that room as didn't want to over heat them! Thank's for pointers, I shall read up on deficiency! As a side note, they are both eating same things, except the pee drinker doesn' teat cardboard. :D

Susan

One down...

OK so gurgles are fine. Now to investigate pee drinking!

They are indoors currently, in a room not below about 15 degrees currently. (turned heating down in that room as didn't want to over heat them! Thank's for pointers, I shall read up on deficiency! As a side note, they are both eating same things, except the pee drinker doesn't eat cardboard. :D

Susan

OK so gurgles are fine. Now to investigate pee drinking!

They are indoors currently, in a room not below about 15 degrees currently. (turned heating down in that room as didn't want to over heat them! Thank's for pointers, I shall read up on deficiency! As a side note, they are both eating same things, except the pee drinker doesn't eat cardboard. :D

Susan

why dont you give the vets a ring? They'll be able to tell you over the phone normally whether its fine or if you need to bring her in.

Jury is out!

I phoned the vets to register with them today, the same practice that neutered them when they were in rescue. I asked the receptionist about the wee drinking and she went and asked the vet, who said she'd never heard of rabbits doing that, but if Holly seemed otherwise ok then not to worry.

Their rabbit expert wasn't working today apparently...:lol:

She is still doing it, and still drinking from the bowl too.

Back