• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Weightloss

MichG

Mama Doe
I picked up my new bunny Jack (approx 6 months old) 2 weeks ago and took him straight to the vets to be checked out. He was weighed at 1.77 Kgs. I weighed him 4 days ago and he had dropped to 1.68Kgs and then yesterday when he had his VHD jab he was 1.6kgs. I didn't take him to the vet it was my husband and he saw a different vet to normal and didn't think to ask about the weight loss :roll:

I know he is being fed the same pellets at home as he was in the rescue and he is being given unlimited hay and he gets a lot more fresh food and veg and grass etc here so he shouldn't be losing weight. Is this somthing to worry about or could he still be adjusting?
I will probably take him to the vets tomorrow, although he seems fine in himself and is eating etc normally, the only thing I have noticed that either him or his partner are not eating their caecotrophs (but I can't tell which one!!) I think it is him...

Any suggestions?

Firstly it's best to monitor weight using the same scales due to the potential for different calibration of various scales :)

What pellets is he having and how much ?

Is he drinking and weeing a lot ?

What is his general body condition and demeanor like ?

Sorry for all the questions !!

I have weighed him on the same scales at my vets (I am a volunteer there).

He is on Burgess Excell adult pellets and was on an egg cup amount twice a day (he was on the same pellets at PACT and was on about the same amount) he has grass during the day in the run as well as fresh veg like broccoli, carrot, pepper etc and in the hutch there is loads of hay for them to munch, and he seems to eat ok, but I can't be sure as I have another bun in there with him.

It is hard to know if he is weeing and drinking because he is with another but I have been at work all day so not been able to watch them.

He seems fine, he has always been a very placid and cuddley bunny, I did notice him grunt at me this morning when I went to put him out, which is a bit weird.

I can feel he has lost weight :( I can feel his bones now through his angora fur .

I think I will take him in tomorrow to be check over just incase. Poor little boy

He checked his teeth last week as he had had a goopy eye and wet nose, which has all cleared up now.

Thanks xx

Back