• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paralysed back legs?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
Help! Advice on a bunny who can't use his bag legs. When he walks he can move the legs but can't put any weight on them? Started a panacur course today, but he was wormed only last September/October.

We've got the 'vet cage' out gave it a good scrub.

I need people with experience to tell me what's the best sort of bedding I can use? And any advice what I should be looking out for my vet on saying please?

It's happened rather suddenly. He was fine and tip toeing around the garden just fine last week.

Thank you

(Yes I have a vets appointment, but an experience bunny owner is always a good person to ask)

After carefully watching him. My partner pointed out he is using his back legs, he just seems wobbly on them. His general health is fab despite the back legs! He's got a healthy appetite, is digging away in the cage, chinning all the corner's making sure we know it's his, healthy bright eyes, good set of nashers.

Pain relief/anti-inflammatories are really important if there's an injury.

Organ failure can cause these symptoms too, although wouldn't happen suddenly.

Good luck at the vets

Thank you! He seems really active like he doesn't know what's going on bless him! x

I added a bit to my post after you quoted it.

If it's happened suddenly, I don't think you need to worry about organ failure. This would happen more slowly, so you're probably just looking at injury or EC.

I added a bit to my post after you quoted it.

If it's happened suddenly, I don't think you need to worry about organ failure. This would happen more slowly, so you're probably just looking at injury or EC.

He's not been spayed yet (I'm too scared to neuter over winter months :oops:) so I'm wondering if he's gotten 'overly randy' I'm going to ask for an x-ray. Fingers crossed for the poor boy. x

Harley has been to the vets, he was given some anti-inflammatory. An hour later and he hops, and has hopped properly a few times, yet still dragging legs a lil :(

Did the vet give you any clue as to the cause? EC, injury or something else?

I hope he makes a full recovery xx

Did the vet give you any clue as to the cause? EC, injury or something else?

I hope he makes a full recovery xx

His guess was there would be something wrong with his spine, but he wanted to try a few days on metacam first. Going in on Tuesday to decide if he's getting better on it. If he isn't we're going through with the x-ray.

do a blood test for ec? x ray and metacam are definates id say it could be a spinal issue, nerves, neurological, ec, athritus if bad, or muscular, sounds similar to dora though she didnt go full paralysis you say he was wormed but that is normally jsut a 9 day course so wouldnt kill ec, a 28 day course in conjunction with metacam to help inflammation would at least rule out ec. dora has never fully regained her back legs but hops around well most days she still has good adn bad days she also has fits if turned onto her back but otherwise leads a normal life so if it is ec dont panic, x

do a blood test for ec? x ray and metacam are definates id say it could be a spinal issue, nerves, neurological, ec, athritus if bad, or muscular, sounds similar to dora though she didnt go full paralysis you say he was wormed but that is normally jsut a 9 day course so wouldnt kill ec, a 28 day course in conjunction with metacam to help inflammation would at least rule out ec. dora has never fully regained her back legs but hops around well most days she still has good adn bad days she also has fits if turned onto her back but otherwise leads a normal life so if it is ec dont panic, x

He had the full on 28 day course when he got here, but we're doing another 28 day course in conjunction with the metacam. X-ray's are next week.

I hope it's only EC. We worm every rabbit here and have what seems an endless supply of panacur. At least I understand EC.

Back