• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I still get a 5 year old spayed - she was previoulsy used for breeding

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Hi, I have had 2 female before. The males were always neutered. It was only brought to my attention several years ago the problems with uterian cancer in bunnies. My first female bunny lived to 9 and she was not spayed. (I was not aware then). My second female bunny had so many ear operations I never wanted to put her through another op. She passed away recently and was 5 or 6 she too was used for breeding before I got her from a rescue.

Our new bunny is about 5, but we will never know. She was used for breeding all her life so god knows how many litters she had.

I want her to settle on first before considering a spay. Although she is very happy with her companion, she is very wary of humans but is getting used to me. Is she more at risk because she had many litters ?

Last edited:
I'd say probably run a full set of bloods and then if they come back ok, then get her spayed.

She will have a better chance if shes spayed of reaching an older age as the percent of unspayed does that get cancer is so high :(. I would talk to your vet and ask if they think she is well enough for the op and also he may get a better idea looking at her what age she is.

My girl will be 4 years old this year although she has only lived with me for the past two years I do know the people I got her off did have alot of rabbits but I have no idea if she ever had any litters? I at least got up the courage to have her spayed last Wednesday.

I was under the impression that how many litters they had or hadn't given birth to had no effect on the likelyhood of uterine cancer?! I thought that was a sort of urban myth type thing?

Anyways, I got my Cloud spayed at seven years old and she was absolutely fine. :) I did consider not getting it done due to her age but she was plucking herself bald trying to nest so that tipped it. I'm glad I got it done though as now I don't have to worry so much.

Back