• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an adult rabbit with a baby/young rabbit

jenzel5

Mama Doe
What is everyone's opinions on this?
I have tried bonding Dudley and Lucy and was going to try again but have decided not to. Reasons being I have got to know Lucy and her personality and don't think it will work. I actually think Lucy is happy being on her own. I know people don't agree with this and I haven't made any decisions yet. I feel like her bad start to life has made her a bit wary of other rabbits. I also feel like she is enjoying her own space, her own mummy and daddy and is just quite happy and content. She binkies ALL the time, does happy flops, jumps on the sofa for attention and just generally seems very happy. She has changed a great deal.
Dudley needs company. I have tried bonding him with one rabbit in a rescue and Lucy and it hasn't worked. Dudley has been a good boy and I feel that getting him a young/baby bunny to bond with might make him happy. A bunny to snuggle with and look after. I think he is good at that. I just don't know though. He really needs company all the time though as he is such a snuggly bum.
Is it easier to bond a young bunny with an adult?
Everyone's thoughts appreciated.

I think the issue with bonding a young bun with an adult is what happens when puberty sets in because that's when the territorial behaviour kicks in. So I think the advice would be to wait until the bun is spayed/neutered then try.

I think the issue with bonding a young bun with an adult is what happens when puberty sets in because that's when the territorial behaviour kicks in. So I think the advice would be to wait until the bun is spayed/neutered then try.

Thanks. That was my reason for not doing it. It was my oh's idea about a young bun and am warming to the idea a bit more but still have worries.
But then again I always hear of unspeyed females and males together so thought there was a possibility of getting a young bun then having her speyed. i suppose there will always be that risk though of them not getting along.

Why are rabbits so difficult!

Is there a local rescue that could help you find the right match? A fairly young bun that has been spayed would seem like a good option..

Back