• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD outbreak in north east England

RosRWAF

Warren Scout
Following the alert that was sent recently, we are repeating the message as below, which was taken from a newspaper published at the end of January.. Since the alert, there have been reports of an outbreak of VHD in the North east of England..

"Scotlands wild rabbit population is in danger of being totally wiped out by a deadly disease which is killing them in their thousands.

Colonies from the Borders to Aberdeen are being decimated by an outbreak of Viral Haemorrhagic disease. Experts have warned that the plague which strikes wild and pet rabbits could kill as much as 90% of the Scottish population and are calling for more to be done to monitor its spread. "

Please be aware that VHD is highly contagious and once this virus takes a real hold in the countryside, it will sweep down from Scotland into England and Wales very quickly. How can pet rabbits catch VHD ?

* Hay may have been in contact with infected wild rabbits as grass growing in the field.

* Birds or insects may transport the virus on their feet ( or in their droppings) to your rabbits grazing on the lawn

* The virus may be blown on the wind

* You may bring the virus home on your feet ( or car wheels from rabbit droppings)

Please ensure that your rabbit has been vaccinated for both VHD and Myxomatosis and warn family or friends with a bunny how important it is that they are protected.

thanks for the warning mine arent vaced but il phone vet to see how much
it is tomorow how often do they need vacs

once every 6 months for VHD and once every year for myxomatosis :wave: normally I get my myxomatosis one first (There needs to be a two week gap in between the vacs) but right now I'd get your VHD first.

ETA: Sorry I got that the wrong way round - 6 months for myxi, yearly for VHD

Last edited:

VHD once a year

Myxi once every six months. :wave:

oh dear it seems I had this page open an hour and messaged without realising nicola had answered :oops:

Back