• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pips Lip is back... Syphilis?!

Livi

Alpha Buck
Argh Pips Lip is back! :roll:
(numerous threads I have started about her http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=262720 this being one of them )

Ok, my Pip had lots of aggro with her lip, diagnosed as Sofococolus – spelling?! (which I believe was a form of Syphillis – not been confirmed by anyone tho, just my own view,lol).

Due to the exact condition she had (she had a biopsy was taken), they did a surgical procedure (is it called quaterised/corterised – where they run an electrical current to burn away the bad cells).

That was about a fortnight ago, she healed very nicely and all was looking good! (I spent just over £500 so far on it all!)

Yesterday I noticed, its BACK!!!!!!!!

I believe it is Syphilis and am also thinking that the vet should have treated with the 3 week spell of antibiotics prior to putting her through an op – just in case it worked… (I must add she has never been unwell from it, just looks unsightly!)

Completely stumped now, made an appointment for 6.20 this eve. Going to request an antibiotic jab today, and then ask if I can book her in for a follow up one next week, but gotta ask mum to take her(as I am going on Hol Sunday for a week). Then see how we go, as if it is Syphilis as it looks like, I know a lot of people have had success with the 4 week course of antibiotic.

Every single time I am just about to go away my pets get problems….Last year before I went to Turkey, Pip had diarrhoea and Kimba my cat had a swelling come up on her face, just before I went to the peak district at Xmas Pips Lip problems first started….and now they are back….I give up!!

Sky-O mentioned Syphillis on a thread a few weeks ago i think. It needed a STRONG course of Abx to get rid if i remember rightly. Baytril doesnt work i think :wave:

Sorry, all regurgitated info :? I'll try and find thr thread!

ETA: no need, Sky has posted herself :wave:

Last edited:
Its need Penicillin. As far as I know, that's the only thing that works. It has to be injectable only.

Good luck!

eric had to have surgery to remove suspected syphillis damage and i had to take him every couple of days for abx injections. i can ask the name of it tomorrow whilst we're there for a dental check if you want?

it did the trick and his problems haven't recurred.

Its need Penicillin. As far as I know, that's the only thing that works. It has to be injectable only.

Good luck!

sky-o is right. :D

my little Lula had syphilis when i got her. she had a 3 week course of penicillin injections (one every week) and in between she had to be watched for reactions. orally it will kill a bun but she was fine with the jabs and cleared straight up, once its gone it will not return either. :)

Back