• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mites or walking dandruff

Suzy B

Young Bun
Emily is moulting and I’ve been gently going through her fur as she has a few knots. Now Emily is older she does not look quite so neat as she used to. Anyway I have noticed she has dandruff down her spine. No bald or sore patches but a few specks of what looks like flea dirt around, again no big patches but there is something going on and I don’t think it is speck of soil. I was going to buy a spot treatment but not sure if she needs flea or mite treatments so I rang the vets. They said it sounds like mites or walking dandruff and Xeno is the best thing to use but that means a visit to the vets and not a buy over the counter. Any suggestions. I’ve just lost my job and money is tight but I don’t want Emily to get the wrong treatment and get an infestation.
P1000536-1.jpg

Get some of the dirt and put it on a damp tissue...flea dirt should dissolve into a red colour (blood). Mites cause white dandruff only.

For fleas you want Advantage, and for mites you want ivermectin...so you need to be pretty sure which one you're dealing with

Thanks for the info. I think I put my thread in the wrong place. I'm terrible with computers. I could not find how to post a thread although i've done it before.

I think I may well be going to the vets and I will mention Ivermectin. It would appear that certain vets just stick to certain medications and Xeno was the only thing offered.
P1000536-1.jpg

Xeno is a brand name, the active ingredient is ivermectin though. Some vets will use the brand name stuff others just straight ivermectin :)

Xeno is a brand name, the active ingredient is ivermectin though. Some vets will use the brand name stuff others just straight ivermectin :)

That's interesting. My friend's rabbit is being treated for mites with zeno, and when I was researching the topic I made the mistake of thinking ivermectin was an alternative treatment. I hope you get Emily sorted out, bless her.

Back